Looking for a good book on VB and SQL RRS feed

• Question

• Hello I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a good reference book for VB and SQL commands.
    I have bought a book on VB and it helped a little, and I have spent hours at the book store looking.  I cannot find a book that tells you how to incorporate SQL in VB. It rather just explains one or the other.  Plus I was kinda looking for a book that tells you why the codes are needed and what they do.  When you get to the more complicated stuff all I can find are books that tell you to "add these lines" but it doesn't tell you why or what each part of the line is for.

If you have any suggestions I would appreciate it.  Below is a sample description of a program I would like to write.  I don't even know if VB is capable of all of it.

Set up an Inventory database
    In VB program make it capable to access and manage the database(add fields and so on)

If I decide to carry a new product and enter it in the database the program can detect it and add controls for that individual field (textboxes, labels and charts) on a seperate form
    Incorporate a link to a Wireless device to gather information i.e. Blue-Tooth and store the info in the database.
    And make an installation file that can put the local database and program onto a computer that can use the program without having to have VB installed on the computer to run the application.

If anyone can recommend a book that can help me with this I would really appreciate it.

Saturday, December 22, 2007 7:25 PM

Answers

• I think here you have more than you want to read from a good book fo VB.NET and SQL

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/beginner/bb308760.aspx

I hope this will be a good start for learning!

Cheers! Wink

Sunday, December 23, 2007 11:08 PM
  • I haven't really looked at any of those tutorials but if they are anything like the others i have seen they will teach you how to use the designer and not really how to code sql.  Maybe there is more to these but i doubt it.  If you do some searching here in the forums you will find much of what you need to know.  Also look for books on ado.net

Monday, December 24, 2007 1:58 AM

All replies

• I think here you have more than you want to read from a good book fo VB.NET and SQL

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/beginner/bb308760.aspx

I hope this will be a good start for learning!

Cheers! Wink

Sunday, December 23, 2007 11:08 PM
  • I haven't really looked at any of those tutorials but if they are anything like the others i have seen they will teach you how to use the designer and not really how to code sql.  Maybe there is more to these but i doubt it.  If you do some searching here in the forums you will find much of what you need to know.  Also look for books on ado.net

Monday, December 24, 2007 1:58 AM
  • Thank you both.  The videos are helpful. 
    But unfortunately you are right as well.  It is hard to find videos that touch base on using VB to access SQL databases.
    They are mainly all the very basics.  But I can't lie I still need to master "Hello World"
    Monday, December 24, 2007 9:42 AM