Missing links if publish error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I have this situation when I integrate TFS with a MS Project Schedule:

When I publish the schedule, if some validations about TFS tasks fail, it appears a message box indicating some errors were found; if I don't fix the errors, I expect all publication is rollback; however, all tasks that had no validation problems where published, but no link was published. I mean, the publication was not complete. So, in TFS I get many tasks published but they  aren't linked to any requirement.

In addition, if I don't fix the errors and Refresh the Schedule.... oh my god, what a problem !!! no task is showed in the Schedule, because there is no links between requirements and tasks.

It's supposed the publication must be a whole transaction, and if there is any error, the whole transaction should be rolled back.

I'm having so many problems with this issue. Is there any work around or any way to solve it?

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 10:01 PM

Answers

• This is by design. The publication of a set of work items from Project into TFS is NOT an atomic transaction. In TFS, as in other similar tools, atomic transactions only applies to source code change sets.

To fix the issue after the linked tasks have been lost, use the Get Work Items option. First create a query that lists all the Tasks without parents:

Then refer to this query in the Get Work Items dialog box:

The unlinked tasks will appear at the bottom of the task list in MS Project.

[Continued in next message. I can only upload 2 images per post]

Clementino de Mendonça ALM Ranger

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 5:29 PM
  • Validation problems occur when some of the required fields have neither an explicit value, nor a default value. Have those fields show in Project and make sure they have a valid value prior to publishing. This was the only way it worked for me so I could avoid the issues you mentioned.

The get the list of Required fields, one trick is to get it for a work item using the Excel Team -> Choose Columns command. For instance, here are the ones for Requirements and Tasks in MSF CMMi:

Also there are two ways of using MS Project as the TFS User Interface:

1) Keep all in TFS, only occasionally export to MS Project for ad hoc editing of project specific fields

2) Keep a saved version in SharePoint and use it to edit the project. 

If using mode 2), the rule of thumb is to always fix any issues using MS Project prior to doing any Refresh, that will save you the time spent with the issues you mentioned.

Regards,

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 5:31 PM

All replies

• Hi AjdPC, 

Thanks for your post.

What’s the version of your TFS and MS Project?

Your current team project created using default CMMI process template?

If you can reproduce this issue in the new created Task and Requirement work items in your team project, please share the detailed reproduce steps here. And you can share the screenshots here too, it will help us provide the better response.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 6:15 AM
  • This is by design. The publication of a set of work items from Project into TFS is NOT an atomic transaction. In TFS, as in other similar tools, atomic transactions only applies to source code change sets.

To fix the issue after the linked tasks have been lost, use the Get Work Items option. First create a query that lists all the Tasks without parents:

Then refer to this query in the Get Work Items dialog box:

The unlinked tasks will appear at the bottom of the task list in MS Project.

[Continued in next message. I can only upload 2 images per post]

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 5:29 PM
  • Validation problems occur when some of the required fields have neither an explicit value, nor a default value. Have those fields show in Project and make sure they have a valid value prior to publishing. This was the only way it worked for me so I could avoid the issues you mentioned.

The get the list of Required fields, one trick is to get it for a work item using the Excel Team -> Choose Columns command. For instance, here are the ones for Requirements and Tasks in MSF CMMi:

Also there are two ways of using MS Project as the TFS User Interface:

1) Keep all in TFS, only occasionally export to MS Project for ad hoc editing of project specific fields

2) Keep a saved version in SharePoint and use it to edit the project. 

If using mode 2), the rule of thumb is to always fix any issues using MS Project prior to doing any Refresh, that will save you the time spent with the issues you mentioned.

Regards,

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 5:31 PM
  • Hi, John.

Thank you for your answer.

My environment is TFS 2013 - MS Project 2010, but it has the same behavior with MS Project 2013. I use a customized Process Template from the original CMMI. but if I use the orginal, it happens too.

These are the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Create a team Project from out of the box CMMI process template.

2. In team web Access, create some requirements.

3. In MS Project, connect to the new team Project and get the requirements using "Open Requirements" query

4. In MS Project, add some child tasks to the requirements; add dates, sucesor, predecesor... as a real plan.

5. Enter the data for columns Resource name, Work Ítem type, area path, iteration path

5. In Resource Name column, write a resource name that doesn't exist as a team member,  in order to generate a publishing error, for one of two tasks.

6. Publish the Schedule. You can see that the tasks that have no validation problems are assigned with a WorkItem Id. And also, it appears a Window where the error of resource name is informed.

7. Don't close that window, and go to Team Web Access. You can see that new tasks have been created, but when you look at the link tab, there is no link, when expected a parent/child link to the requirement.

8. Go to MS Project and press Cancel button.

9. Save the Schedule and close it.

10. Go again to Team Web Access, and you still can see the new tasks without any link.

11. Go back to MS Project, open the Schedule and Refresh from TFS

12. You can see that child task are not refreshed from TFS and an error message is showed.

Now, if you follow the procedure until step 6, press cancel button, fix the errors of the Schedule and Publish again with no errors, everything works ok. My point is that when I press cancel button, all transaction should be rolled back or all links of well validated task should be published too.

Any help should be appreciated.

Regards.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 8:36 PM
  • BTW an easy way to reproduce the issue is to create two Tasks under a Requirement in MS Project, and when publishing have the Requirement Title field be blank.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 11:50 PM