none
[MS-OXCNOTIF/MS-OXCROPS] RopRegisterSynchronizationNotifications / RopSetSynchronizationNotificationGuid with Exchange 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• [MS-OXCNOTIF] v20110315 product behaviour notes <5> and <6> indicates that RopSynchronizationOpenAdvisor is not supported on Exchange 2010. Since the output of that ROP is the input handle for RopRegisterSynchronizationNotifications and RopSetSynchronizationNotificationGuid, I'm assuming they can't work either.

Questions.

1. Can you confirm that "these ROPs" in <6> is RopSynchronization, RopRegisterSynchronizationNotifications and RopSetSynchronizationNotificationGuid?

2. If not (i.e. there is a way to use RopRegisterSynchronizationNotifications and RopSetSynchronizationNotificationGuid with Exchange 2010), what is the input handle for these ROPs?

3. Are any of RopSynchronization, RopRegisterSynchronizationNotifications and RopSetSynchronizationNotificationGuid used by any version of Outlook?

Thursday, May 19, 2011 11:05 PM

Answers

• Hi Brad,

A1.  That is correct.  RopSynchronizationOpenAdvisor, SetSynchronizationNotificationGuid and RegisterSynchronizationNotifications are not implemented in Exchange Server 2010.

A2.  See A1.

A3.  These rops are used by Outlook 2010 and below depending on server support.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Mark Miller

Escalation Engineer

US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 6:07 PM
  • Hi Brad, It's by version number.
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 1:59 PM
  • Hi Brad,

After further investigation, we’ve determined that RopSynchronizationOpenAdvisor, RopSetSynchronizationNotificationGuid, and RopRegisterSynchronizationNotifications are also never used by the client.  So Outlook 2003, Outlook 2007 or Outlook 2010, do not implement these ROPs and are thus out of scope for the Exchange Server Protocol Documents.  MS-OXCNOTIF will be updated in the future, as these ROPs will be removed from the document.

Regards,
    Mark Miller
    Escalation Engineer
    US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 2:07 PM

All replies

• Hi Brad:

I have created a case for this issue. A member of the protocol documentation team will be in touch soon.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi
    Friday, May 20, 2011 12:03 AM
    Owner
  • Hi Brad,

A1.  That is correct.  RopSynchronizationOpenAdvisor, SetSynchronizationNotificationGuid and RegisterSynchronizationNotifications are not implemented in Exchange Server 2010.

A2.  See A1.

A3.  These rops are used by Outlook 2010 and below depending on server support.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Mark Miller

Escalation Engineer

US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 6:07 PM
  • Mark,

Thanks once again.

In relation to A3, is this based on a server version number, or the response to "trying it and seeing what happens" (e.g. Success or NotSupported)?

Brad

• Marked as answer by Brad Hards Wednesday, June 1, 2011 10:42 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Brad Hards Wednesday, June 1, 2011 10:42 PM
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 8:47 PM
  • Hi Brad, It's by version number.
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 1:59 PM
  • Is this considered client specific behaviour, or normative (spec) behaviour? Do you intend to add information on this to [MS-OXCRPC] Section 3.1.5 version information or [MS-OXCNOTIF] Appendix A?
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 10:42 PM
  • Hi Brad, I'm checking into this question.
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 1:31 PM
  • Hi Brad,

After further investigation, we’ve determined that RopSynchronizationOpenAdvisor, RopSetSynchronizationNotificationGuid, and RopRegisterSynchronizationNotifications are also never used by the client.  So Outlook 2003, Outlook 2007 or Outlook 2010, do not implement these ROPs and are thus out of scope for the Exchange Server Protocol Documents.  MS-OXCNOTIF will be updated in the future, as these ROPs will be removed from the document.

Regards,
    Mark Miller
    Escalation Engineer
    US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 2:07 PM