How to make Compiling C++ VS 2010 Win32 code on Windows 7 64 the same as on Windows XP 32 bit RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using VS2010 on Windows XP 32 bit for awhile to compile my C++ code.  I am now moving to Windows 7 64 bit and I still want to create 32 bit binaries.   I have applied all of the same VS2010 patches to my Windows 7 64 bit machine.  When I use dumpbin to compare the binaries created on a machine with Windows XP 32 bit to the same files created on a machine running Windows 7 64 bit, the files are different.  I have checked all of the security patches on both machines and they the same.  Why would the dissassembly be different?

I have also used Windows 7 32 bit with the same VS 2010 patches and the dissassembly matches the files created with Windows XP 32 bit. 

I am hoping that there is a way to produce the same dissassembly on a 64 bit OS as we get on 32....

Friday, November 15, 2013 10:52 PM

Answers

• "do you know of any way to match the disassembly back to the original code?"

If the disassembly contains those symbols you have shown then it means that you have debug symbols for that code. See if you can find a call instruction somewhere after that push instruction, you should get an idea what function is called. Such push instructions are usually used pass arguments to functions.

• Proposed as answer by Anna Cc Tuesday, November 19, 2013 7:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by Anna Cc Tuesday, November 26, 2013 2:40 AM
    Monday, November 18, 2013 8:20 PM

All replies