none
Template "Microsoft SQL Express 2008 R2" RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded some template from :

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/downloads/windows-embedded-compatible-applications-chooser.aspx?=undefined&WEPlatforms=Windows%20Embedded%20Standard%207%20SP1&WEVendor=Microsoft

In the .xml template for "Microsoft SQL Express 2008 R2", there is some packages useless for me like "Windows Media Player 12". It's seems include some "Optional Packages".

I really need a image with the minimum functionalty.

Do I need to include the complete template to have a legal version ?

Many thanks.

// Hervee

Friday, February 10, 2012 10:36 AM

Answers

• No. the templates help to insure the necessary packages are in the image for the application to install and run. Why Windows Media Player 12 is called out by the template is a bit odd. If you apply the template to an answer file, does it pull Windows Media Player package in?

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

• Marked as answer by hervee Monday, February 13, 2012 7:31 AM
    Friday, February 10, 2012 4:47 PM

All replies

• No. the templates help to insure the necessary packages are in the image for the application to install and run. Why Windows Media Player 12 is called out by the template is a bit odd. If you apply the template to an answer file, does it pull Windows Media Player package in?

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

• Marked as answer by hervee Monday, February 13, 2012 7:31 AM
    Friday, February 10, 2012 4:47 PM
  • Ok thank you !

And yes, if I apply the template to an answer file, it pulls Windows Media Player package in.

// Hervee

Monday, February 13, 2012 7:31 AM
  • The question still remains, *why* does SQL Express 2008 R2 require Windows Media Player 12? Is this an optional package, or am I going to be unable to run SQL if I delete this requirement.  While we are on the subject, why does SQL Express 2008 R2 require the Internet Explorer Browser package?  Hervee, maybe you could let us know your results?  Which packages did you delete back out, and have you had any problems with SQL having done so?  Maybe the creator of the template is out there and can tell us what functionality we lose should we choose to leave out some of these packages.

GreggD

Thursday, April 12, 2012 7:31 AM