TSQL Debugging from SSMS - without admin privilege RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a central MSSQL 2008 R2 server, which is accessed by multiple developers from different places. We want to enable the debugging option for the developers from SSMS without giving the admin privileges. I read that the admin privilege is required to have the debugging enables. But in case on the central server, we can't give admin options to the developers. Is there any alternate way of enabling the debugging option for the developers. Please suggest.

-- Reddy Balaji C. ##Mark as answer if it solves the issue

Friday, December 21, 2012 4:20 AM

Answers

• Below is from Requirement section of Configure the Transact-SQL Debugger:

• SQL Server Management Studio or SQL Server Data Tools must be running under a Windows account that is a member of the sysadmin fixed server roll.

• The Database Engine Query Editor window must be connected by using either a Windows Authentication or SQL Server Authentication login that is a member of the sysadmin fixed server role.

Please use Marked as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful, if a post was useful to help other user's find a solution quicker.

Friday, December 21, 2012 3:19 PM

All replies

• Personally, I stopped using SQL debugging ten years ago. I found that I spent more time fighting configuration red tape than I benefit from it. PRINT or SELECT does the job about just as well.

Debugging usually works well when you have SQL Server locally, but less well for a remote server. Not only for the admin issue, but the developer needs to open the firewall to permit the SQL Server machine run RPC on his machine.

Also, debugging in a database that is used by others can cause blocking issues.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Friday, December 21, 2012 11:32 AM
  • Below is from Requirement section of Configure the Transact-SQL Debugger:

• SQL Server Management Studio or SQL Server Data Tools must be running under a Windows account that is a member of the sysadmin fixed server roll.

• The Database Engine Query Editor window must be connected by using either a Windows Authentication or SQL Server Authentication login that is a member of the sysadmin fixed server role.

Please use Marked as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful, if a post was useful to help other user's find a solution quicker.

Friday, December 21, 2012 3:19 PM