Is the use of Blank Sites as Folders resource intensive? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All:

My client wanted me to display the pages hierarchically in a Tree View, which may have many levels. I tried it and asked few people on this forum and was not able to find a simple way to do it SharePoint.

What I ended up doing was to create Blank Sites as folders. For example, to show following hierarchy:

- Department

- HR

- Legal Dept

- Policy 1

I created three blank sites with name Department, HR, and Legal Dept and then created a page which contained policy. I then use ASP:TreeView in my master page and used SiteMapDS as datasource.

Everything works fine, client is happy but I need to know if it is resource intensive. how much it will be burden on database when creating blank sites as folders ? . The sites I am creating has nothing in them just two lines of text.

Any help is appreciated

SharePoint Developer
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, May 7, 2010 3:11 AM Original Title "SharePoint page size" doesn't seem to have much to do with the question in this post. Title re-written.
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 6:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• In SharePoint 2007 / WSS3 the way you've done it is the only way.

If you only have 3 sites I wouldn't worry about it much.  There are a few things you need to think about if you end up creating a lot of sub-sites.

SharePoint queries have an artificial cap of 1000 lists - so CQWP will break when you go over that limit.  Cross site queries are also extremely slow when you have a lot of sub-sites.  You can make it better by avoiding top-level or site-collection scoped queries.

If you don't mind doing a bit of coding - you can build your own Site map provider and present a 'fake' tree that links off to your individual pages instead.

In SharePoint 2010, you can just use folders in a pages library and avoid this whole nastiness.

jliu - johnliu.net - www.ssw.com.au
    Friday, May 7, 2010 6:44 AM
  • Hello John:

Thanks a bunch for very useful information. We probably won't have 1000 subsites but couple of hundreds for sure.

I was looking at customizing 'Site Map Provider' and it seems like each node has to be a url, so wouldn't it be same thing ?

So in my case, I will probably have to do following:

1) Allow user to access an UI to create a new node (folder)

2) When user create a new folder using UI, I will create a new node on Site Map Provider. (This node has to be URL or it can be a dead link or a node TreeView that you cant click)

3) When user creat a page, can I create a page as a site map node ?

I do not have much experience customizing Site Map Provider, I will google and see if there are some example which can match to what I want to do.

Thanks again for your help, I appreicate it.

SharePoint Developer
    Friday, May 7, 2010 1:41 PM
  • I would use the SharePoint object model to read the SharePoint's site folder structure and return the sitemap from live data.  That way you don't have to worry about keeping it in sync.

Try these starting points:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms178431.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb897739.aspx

jliu - johnliu.net - www.ssw.com.au
    Monday, May 10, 2010 2:25 AM