getting connection error while attaching an master.mdf file to the SQL Server 2014? RRS feed

• Question

• hi experts, while attaching my master.mdf file in SQL Server 2014 it shows an error. how can I attach this .mdf file to my SQL Server database? see the image below for the error message.

atttach mdf file

Friday, October 16, 2015 9:08 AM

Answers

• Hello Jackson,

"master" is a system database, which exists in every SQL Server.

As the error message already says, you can not attach a database with the same name as an existing one. You can only attach the database file as a user database with a different name then "master".

Why at all do you want to attach a "master" database?

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Marked as answer by Jason_Clark03 Friday, October 16, 2015 10:09 AM
    Friday, October 16, 2015 9:15 AM
  • Hi Jackson,

MDF is the primary master database file in every SQL server. If you want to attach a database file, you need to use another name, rather than using "master".

By the way, if you are looking for more information about MDF file, refer this: -

http://www.whatisfileextension.com/mdf/

Regards

Ashish@V

Friday, October 16, 2015 9:24 AM

All replies

• Hello Jackson,

"master" is a system database, which exists in every SQL Server.

As the error message already says, you can not attach a database with the same name as an existing one. You can only attach the database file as a user database with a different name then "master".

Why at all do you want to attach a "master" database?

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Friday, October 16, 2015 9:15 AM
  • Hi Jackson,

MDF is the primary master database file in every SQL server. If you want to attach a database file, you need to use another name, rather than using "master".

By the way, if you are looking for more information about MDF file, refer this: -

http://www.whatisfileextension.com/mdf/

Regards

Ashish@V

Friday, October 16, 2015 9:24 AM