URL parameter documentation for WebClientReadFormQueryString for Exchange and OWA 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

The specification [MS-OXWSCORE] describes the WebClientReadFormQueryString for the GetItem EWS operation. The returned string contains valid request parameters for Outlook Web Access 2007 and 2010. For these versions of Exchange the request parameters are documented.

I tried the EWS GetItem call with 'WebClientReadFormQueryString' property against an Exchange Server 2013 Web Service. The returned query parameter string does not work with OWA 2013 and looks like to be in the format used by Exchange 2007/2010.

Please see also http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrdevelopmentlegacy/thread/50c9aa84-0d18-4ca5-a4d7-22746abc388d.

Glen advised my to post the question to this forum.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

Niels

Just an additional finding:

In Exchange Online (outlook.office365.com) the EWS call now seems to return an absolute URL. This does not seem to be document anywhere by now.

• Edited by NielsS Wednesday, February 21, 2018 10:02 AM new finding
    Monday, January 7, 2013 8:55 AM

Answers

• Hi Niels,

The investigation of this issue concludes this is a product bug in Exchange Server 2013.  Currently, Exchange Server 2013 does not emit the correct OWA URL for OWA 2013.  The product bug will be fixed in a future product update.

Regards,

Mark Miller | Escalation Engineer | Open Protocols Support Team

Thursday, January 24, 2013 6:24 PM

All replies

• Hi Niels,

Thank you for your question.  An engineer from the Protocols Team will contact you soon.

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team

Monday, January 7, 2013 4:48 PM
  • Hi Niels,

I will investigate this issue and follow up with you on this forum.

Regards,

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 2:50 PM
  • Hi Niels,

The investigation of this issue concludes this is a product bug in Exchange Server 2013.  Currently, Exchange Server 2013 does not emit the correct OWA URL for OWA 2013.  The product bug will be fixed in a future product update.

Regards,

Thursday, January 24, 2013 6:24 PM
  • Hey,

We just published the following documentation:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd877102(v=exchg.150).aspx

which describes how to build a OWA URL for Exchange Server 2013 item. This should allow you to get your code working again.

Steve

Friday, April 19, 2013 5:52 PM
  • Hey Stephen,

how do you dynamically make sure, that this part always works

"#viewmodel=_y.$Ep&ItemID=" 

The part "_y.$Ep" Changes from time to time in office365.

/Allan

Monday, April 29, 2013 9:43 AM
  • Hi Stephan,

I did not get the URL to work. I tried the following:

- Used EWS Editor and read the ItemId property for a deeply nested email item (not from the Inbox). Copied the UniqueID to the clipboard.

- Started Chrome and pasted the following URL (ItemID URL encoded, tried both URL encoded and the exact string from the EWSEditor).

https://<mywin2012ex13cas>/owa?#viewmodel=_y.$Ep&ItemID=AAMkADZlOTcxNzViLWJlOTUtNDMwZC04NmVkLThhYWY4YmQzMTE0NgBGAAAAAAC33q3lQdjIQp1KDeeBvWtsBwBXBIZQDKu7R75Ae%2BSwnztsAAAAABuGAABXBIZQDKu7R75Ae%2BSwnztsAAAAABuIAAA%3D%0A

=> The Login Screen appears (ok), but only the first item in the Inbox is selected (the entry ID was taken from a different Folder next to the Inbox).

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Niels

• Edited by NielsS Tuesday, April 30, 2013 3:03 PM
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 3:01 PM
  • Hey Niels,

thats is because the viewmodel=_y.$Ep probably is dfferent on your exchange instance. There is noway to find this in the EWS and it changes from time to time. That is why I asked above how to find this. Try and open a mail manually from your inbox in OWA and see how its formatted, there you can see what the value of the viewmodel is.

/Allan

Thursday, May 2, 2013 11:24 AM
  • Hej Niels,

did you find a solution to this?

/Allan

Friday, May 17, 2013 11:17 AM
  • Any ideas?
    Wednesday, June 5, 2013 9:00 AM
  • Hi,

We are facing the same issue.

Could anyone please suggest how can we create OWA URL in exchange 2013.

Thanks in advance

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 8:55 AM
  • I found this worked for me once I found the ID=91 

/outlook.com/owa/our_url/#viewmodel=IMailComposeViewModelFactory&wid=91&ispopout=1

This would create a new mail message.

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 9:00 PM
  • Hi EZiNet,

I will check on this for you and post again by Monday afternoon. 

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

Friday, January 3, 2014 10:59 PM
  • Hello Tom,

Thanks, that would be great! Please note that I want to use the OWA URL for Office365 tab people. I don't know if there are limitations compared to Exchange 2013.

Best regards, 

Erwin, EZiNet

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 8:17 AM
  • Thanks Erwin, I'm still working on it. I'll let you know when I have more information.

Tom

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 8:27 AM
  • Hi Erwin,

Currently viewmodel parameter for contact items is not working and is a known issue.  We have behavior notes in [MS-OXWSCORE] that cover this as it was investigated last year.  Specifically, notes <35> and <36> in the currently published revision of [MS-OXWSCORE].  Although some of the viewmodel parameters may be working, the one for contact items is not. I have no estimate on when this will be addressed. 

Tom 

• Proposed as answer by EZiNet Thursday, January 9, 2014 9:38 AM
    Wednesday, January 8, 2014 8:41 PM
  • Hello Tom

Thanks for the clarification and the link to [MS-OXWSCORE]

Erwin

Thursday, January 9, 2014 9:39 AM
  • Hello,

I am struggling a bit with webClientQueryString. It works on desktop, but not on Mobile (Android but i dont think its the problem here) version of OWA.

I end up in the inbox, not in the email, if i click an email in the mobile version the URL have this format: https://courriel-at.ulaval-at.ca/owa/?ae=Item&t=IPM.Note&id=RgAAAACT7lv2782dT6Gvsd%2fOsP05BwB92lemZeyxRIMTOgydxqKNAAAAAAEMAAB92lemZeyxRIMTOgydxqKNAAFt6xGEAAAJ

There is no way to generate this URL, even the JSON returned from service does not have this id.

Our Exchange is 2013  CU16
    • Edited by [Rouche] Tuesday, July 4, 2017 5:20 PM
    Tuesday, July 4, 2017 1:54 PM
  • Hi Rouche:

I have alerted the open specifications team regarding your inquiry. A member of the team will be in touch soon.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi

Tuesday, July 4, 2017 5:56 PM
  • Hello Rouche:

I'll be helping you with this inquiry.

We assume that you are using [MS-OXWSCORE] and facing this issue, can you please confirm if this understanding is correct? I tried to look up 'webClientQueryString' in our specification but unable to find it. Please share your inputs.

Thanks

Tarun Chopra | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Tuesday, July 4, 2017 6:34 PM
  • Hello Rouche:

Any update please ?

Thanks

Wednesday, July 5, 2017 6:41 PM
  • Hello Rouche:

I'm still awaiting to hear back from you.

Thanks.

Monday, July 10, 2017 5:47 PM
  • Hello Roche

We did some research as we were waiting to hear back from you and would like to update that WebClientReadFormQueryString is OWA URL format string that can accept any valid URL format. We do not document this format, as it is opaque w.r.t open specification and up to higher-layer application to process it.

As you are able to browse directly into inbox on desktop client but not on mobile client, there might be an issue with the way the response page from the Exchange server is rendered by the mobile browser. The desktop response page will likely be different based on the device or user agent. We suggest you to please open a new thread on below forum to get further assistance - https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=exchangesvrdevelopment

Thanks

Monday, July 17, 2017 6:28 PM