How do i run a report against a cube RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I have created reports using a Database engine... but now i want to create a report using a cube. How can I do it...

So far i have managed to create a datasource that points to the cube database... and i have added a report and created a new a dataset pointing to the cubes...

SO my question how to i query the cubes using SSRS..

Any links or helps will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Karen

Tuesday, June 30, 2009 3:34 PM

Answers

• You create a dataset against a cube in a similar way as you do agains a relational database.
    You should see the graphical query designer popup and let you select the field. THis query designer automatically generate the MDX query syntax.
    But you ca always write the MDX syntax afterwards if you want to....

Hope this helps. If not then please be more precise where you are getting stuck exactly.

Thierry D'hers [MS], This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Karenros Wednesday, July 1, 2009 1:19 PM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 4:42 PM
  • check out this link:http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqlanalysisservices/thread/ec239195-a329-4ced-834b-48e4f126f171.

i dont know if i completely understand your question though.
    • Proposed as answer by Gouri SohoniMVP Wednesday, July 1, 2009 5:00 AM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 11:52 PM

All replies

• You create a dataset against a cube in a similar way as you do agains a relational database.
    You should see the graphical query designer popup and let you select the field. THis query designer automatically generate the MDX query syntax.
    But you ca always write the MDX syntax afterwards if you want to....

Hope this helps. If not then please be more precise where you are getting stuck exactly.

Thierry D'hers [MS], This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 4:42 PM
  • Hey,
    After creating the dataset which points to your cube you should be able to select "Querry Designer".  
    This will open up the MDX graphical query designer.  You will then have to drag all of the data that you want to querry, and add any parameters that you would like to add in at the top of the designer.  After adding all of the data that you want to querry click ok.. And then drag either a table or matrix into the report and then add your data to the table or matrix... 

Tuesday, June 30, 2009 6:25 PM
  • thanks for the answer..

Suppose if the cubes have been updated in the cube database would the datasource automatically be updated...cause when I am in the query builder and i click on the dotted button to select whcih cube i want i get a message that says

"the Cube collection has been updated on the server"

I havent done any changes to the cubes at all..

I tried creating this sometime ago and it worked and after an hr or so i am trying to access them and then i get above message..

any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Karen
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:04 PM
  • check out this link:http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqlanalysisservices/thread/ec239195-a329-4ced-834b-48e4f126f171.

i dont know if i completely understand your question though.
    • Proposed as answer by Gouri SohoniMVP Wednesday, July 1, 2009 5:00 AM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 11:52 PM