none
sharepoint 2013 installation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Just want to know can I install sharepoint 2013 trial on my laptop.

Or else how can I use 2013.

tks,

Vidhu

Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:32 AM

Answers

• If your laptop is running a client operating system such as Windows 7 or Windows 8, you are not going to be able to install SharePoint 2013 directly in the operating system. While this was possible with SharePoint 2010, Microsoft removed that ability with SharePoint 2013; SharePoint 2013 requires Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows Server 2012 as the operating system for any computer it is installed in.

If you have Windows 8, your best option may be to enable the Hyper-V functionality in the OS and build virtual machines with it that can run the Windows Server OS and SharePoint 2013. With both Windows 7 and Windows 8 you can also use software such as Oracle Virtual Box, VMware Player, or VMware Workstation to create virtual machines.

If you're looking to work with SharePoint 2013 from a development or end user perspective, I think Dennis's suggestion below of taking a look at SharePoint Online in Office 365 is an excellent one as it is much easier to get set up and implemented. You can go to Office365.com to set up a free trial (it can last up to 90 days with extensions), or if you have an MSDN Professional or Ultimate license you have the ability to create a single user Office 365 tenant for testing and development.

If you're wanting to work with it as an IT Pro or Administrator, or want to get an install of SharePoint 2013 under your belt, your only option is going to do it on a virtual machine or a hosted VM offering such as Azure IAAS.

John

MCITP and MCTS: SharePoint, Virtualization, Project Server 2007
    My books on Amazon: The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide and The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.

• Marked as answer by vidhu281 Monday, April 22, 2013 3:51 AM
    Thursday, April 18, 2013 1:20 PM

All replies

• Hi Vidhu,

please go through the following link and make sure that the laptop is capable to install SP2013(Hardware and software requirements for SharePoint 2013)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/library/cc262485.aspx

you can download the software from the following link

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/evalcenter/hh973397.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=30345

Regards  Roy Joyson
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered"/"Vote helpful" if this solves/helps your problem.

Roy Joyson

Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:37 AM
  • If you just want to get familiar with the basic features I would create a tenant in Office 365, much easier:
    https://www.microsoftofficedemos.com

- Dennis | Netherlands | Blog | Twitter

Thursday, April 18, 2013 10:16 AM
  • If your laptop is running a client operating system such as Windows 7 or Windows 8, you are not going to be able to install SharePoint 2013 directly in the operating system. While this was possible with SharePoint 2010, Microsoft removed that ability with SharePoint 2013; SharePoint 2013 requires Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows Server 2012 as the operating system for any computer it is installed in.

If you have Windows 8, your best option may be to enable the Hyper-V functionality in the OS and build virtual machines with it that can run the Windows Server OS and SharePoint 2013. With both Windows 7 and Windows 8 you can also use software such as Oracle Virtual Box, VMware Player, or VMware Workstation to create virtual machines.

If you're looking to work with SharePoint 2013 from a development or end user perspective, I think Dennis's suggestion below of taking a look at SharePoint Online in Office 365 is an excellent one as it is much easier to get set up and implemented. You can go to Office365.com to set up a free trial (it can last up to 90 days with extensions), or if you have an MSDN Professional or Ultimate license you have the ability to create a single user Office 365 tenant for testing and development.

If you're wanting to work with it as an IT Pro or Administrator, or want to get an install of SharePoint 2013 under your belt, your only option is going to do it on a virtual machine or a hosted VM offering such as Azure IAAS.

John

MCITP and MCTS: SharePoint, Virtualization, Project Server 2007
    My books on Amazon: The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide and The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.

• Marked as answer by vidhu281 Monday, April 22, 2013 3:51 AM
    Thursday, April 18, 2013 1:20 PM
  • Hi John,

Thank you so much for your detailed suggestion.

Vidhu

Monday, April 22, 2013 3:52 AM