none
Water Detection RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello, does anyone know how the Kinect for Windows v2 does with detecting water? I'm very new to Kinect. I was wondering if its camera can detect the surface of undisturbed water, or "sees" through the clear surface to sense whatever is on the other side; also, what about disturbed/rippled water? 

Any other information about the Kinect's detection of water would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, June 4, 2015 5:33 PM

All replies

• Hey Ryan,

The Kinect IR/Depth sensors do not work well outside due to sunlight (if your water source happens to be outside). It also does not do well with shiny, reflective surfaces. In Kinect Studio, you can see that mirrors and glass often appear black in the depth/IR view, which means that the sensor is not getting any data from that object. I would expect similar results from a reflective body of water. Now, if your water happens to be murky, or even rippled, the depth sensor *might* be able to pick that up. If you have a sensor, use Kinect Studio to see if the water can be visualized. However, I do not think the sensor would be able to see through the water.

~Angela

Thursday, June 4, 2015 10:38 PM