Trouble getting thumbnail from SkyDrive file obtained using local path Windows 8.1 RT Surface RT RRS feed

• Question

• The first time I try to get a thumbnail from a SkyDrive jpg file, nothing is returned.

It seems as if the Await when getting the file does not really fully Await before I try to get the thumbnail. Before trying to get the thumbnail file.IsAvailable returns true, but the file attributes of the jpg show: Archive Or LocallyIncomplete {544}.

The file is in a folder marked "available online-only" (of course I'm online). I'm using a local path in an Async method.

The thumbnail is returned after I restart the app and run the code again.

So far this occurs only when using Windows 8.1 RT on Surface RT. I tested and have not had this problem on Windows 8.1 Pro.

------------------------------------------------
    Dim folderPath = "C:\Users\USER_NAME\SkyDrive\myfolder"

Dim folder = Await StorageFolder.GetFolderFromPathAsync(folderPath)

Dim file = Await folder.GetFileAsync("photo.jpg")

At this point, file.IsAvailable returns true. The following statement returns nothing.

Dim tn = Await file.GetThumbnailAsync(ThumbnailMode.ListView)

musical9

• Edited by musical9 Saturday, December 21, 2013 5:34 PM fixed type
    Saturday, December 21, 2013 5:28 PM

All replies

• I think you have to use the skydrive sdk to get the files online.
    • Marked as answer by Anne Jing Monday, December 30, 2013 7:56 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by musical9 Monday, December 30, 2013 12:04 PM
    Sunday, December 22, 2013 2:02 PM
  • LiveSDK is not always used for SkyDrive files, as access to SkyDrive files can also be obtained via the FilePicker or FolderPicker. For an example of working with SkyDrive files apart from LiveSDK, there is the StorageFile.IsAvailable method: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/dn467360.aspx

musical9

Monday, December 30, 2013 12:09 PM