Migrate multiple Source code folders from projects to another single project RRS feed

• Question

• One tricky question.

We have collection ABCD

under the Collection A, we have 6 projects.

We want to create a single project in the collection B and move all the projects which is under collection A to the newly created project in collection B, all projects should be moved to one single project.

is this possible in TFS 2013 if not possible in TFS 2015 ?

can we extract the folders from all the projects with history info and move it one single project ?

Regards

Monday, November 23, 2015 7:46 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting here.

Based on your description, you want to move 6 projects from collection A to collection B and make them into one single project. Here the collection A and collection B are in same TFS server, right?

If my understanding is right, there is no direct way to do this thing. You may need to do two steps operations. Firstly you need to migrate the multiple projects from Collection A to Collection B. Then try to find way to merge them.

As to the first step, as far as I know, you may have two alternatives. One is to use TFS integration tool to help you migrate. The other way you may try is to use the collection split which is described clearly in link below. General speaking of collection split way, backup the collection A and rename it to B,then restore B to database and attach the B collection to server. Finally delete the projects in split collections. This way is for empty collection B, I mean there is no projects in collection B and you can newly create it.

Split a team project collection

And there is already a user voice raised in link below to help improve further feature.

http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/330519-team-services/suggestions/2037613-make-it-possible-to-move-a-team-project-between-te

As to how to merge team projects in one collection, see Merge Team Projects into one in TFS.

May

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 6:37 AM