Manifests, DLLs, and 64 bit issues, Oh my! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm in the process of building my shell extension as a 64 bit application using the VS 2005 compiler. Currently when I try to register the dll I built using my existing build process tweaked to get a 64 bit build, I get the error message:

The specified module cannot be found

I've got the dll building under Visual Studio properly, and I've noticed that VS embeds a manifest, something my existing build process does not do. From what I've read today embedded manifests are required with VS 2005, so this seems like an issue. =)

My question, after this long preamble, is would the lack of a manifest likely cause the error I'm seeing?
    Tuesday, July 31, 2007 9:25 PM

Answers

•  Matt Attaway wrote:
    Hi all,

I'm in the process of building my shell extension as a 64 bit application using the VS 2005 compiler. Currently when I try to register the dll I built using my existing build process tweaked to get a 64 bit build, I get the error message:

The specified module cannot be found

I've got the dll building under Visual Studio properly, and I've noticed that VS embeds a manifest, something my existing build process does not do. From what I've read today embedded manifests are required with VS 2005, so this seems like an issue. =)

My question, after this long preamble, is would the lack of a manifest likely cause the error I'm seeing?

Could you help to make sure you have build the dll with following options enabled:

1. Project | Properties | Configuration properties | Linker | Manifest File | Generate Manifest -> Yes

2. Project | Properties | Configuration properties | Manifest Tools | Input and Output | Embed Manifest -> Yes

Friday, August 3, 2007 11:50 AM