none
Onedrive Broke my Solution

Question

• I keep all my solutions and projects on OneDrive.

One solution fails now when I try to run it because it is looking for a version of the project that was I guess a temporary version located on a specific computer that I was working on.  I know this because the Computer name is appended to the end of the file name.  ProjectFileName-ComputerName where it should be using ProjectFileName  for example OrderPage-OfficePC.cs as apposed to OrderPage.cs.  

I am using VS2012 on Windows 10

I cannot figure out how to fix this.

• Edited by Pisteuon Monday, May 02, 2016 4:47 PM
    Monday, May 02, 2016 4:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Pisteuon,

Do you upload your project to OneDrive and then download it to local?

Please create a new default project and do the same operations to check whether this problem occurs with this specific project or all projects.

If just occurs with a specific solution, please try create a new solution and then move the original solution files one by one to check which file causes this problem.

And please check whether your project references something on the machine that create your project but they don't on your current machine.

If the version that Visual Studio are looking for is a temporary version, please try clean your solution and then rebuild your solution again to check whether it still looking for.

If all project also has this issue, please provide the detailed operation steps here to help us reproduce your problem in our side. I will help you to confirm whether this problem caused by OneDrive or not.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 6:01 AM
  • Hi,

that is the onedrive synchronization software:

That is the way how it handles conflicts. Please also see the following discussion:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/forum/odwork-odfiles/onedrive-adds-computer-name-in-file-names/0c4b87aa-7878-4ce2-9263-6b6fb0c50274?auth=1

My recommendation would be to not use onedrive to synchronize projects directly. This can cause trouble like the trouble you saw right now.

Instead I would recommend to use some source control solution.

So for example: Visual Studio Team Services is an offer of Microsoft. But there are a lot of other options, too. So you can get svn or git hosting.

And of course: You can set up your own solution, too. So you could use svn with a local repository. You might backup the repository to your cloud drive. But if you are using multiple computers then you might have the problem with the conflicts again! So it is best to not fool around and use the stuff as it was intended.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 6:57 AM