none
What is the difference between "Core Web Application" and "NET Framework"? RRS feed

• Question

• Maybe I did not ask question correctly, basically, what is the difference between the first two application types?

See attached image, preferably explaining in plain language, just like explaining to non-IT folk, since I don't have computer science degree and IT job experience, I am just trying to learn to build application.

Thanks.

Monday, September 2, 2019 10:33 PM

All replies

• Hi VA_er,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

According to your question, I have the following explanation:

ASP.NET Core is an open-source, cross-platform framework for building modern, cloud-based web apps on Windows, macOS, or Linux, while ASP.NET 4.x is a mature framework that provides the services needed to build enterprise-grade, server-based web apps on Windows.

ASP.NET Web applications are available for .Net Framework 4.6.1 and earlier, while ASP.NET Core Web applications are available for .Net Core and/or .Net Framework 5.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, September 3, 2019 6:31 AM
  • Hi VA_er,

Do you have any updates? If you still have issues about this two project templates, please feel free to let us know, we will try our best to help you, looking forward your feedback.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, September 9, 2019 8:37 AM