need suggestions on how to handle many-to-many joins via an association table RRS feed

• Question

• User-1614457691 posted

All --

Please help.

I need suggestions on how to handle many-to-many joins via an association table.

I have the basics of Dynamic Data (I think).

My relations where a table has a foreign-key pointing to a single value in another table are all set. No issue.

TableA
    PrimaryKeyColumn
    FkPointingToAnotherTable

However, where

TableB
    TableBPrimaryKeyColumn
    Column2
    Column3
    ...etc...

TableC
    TableCPrimaryKeyColumn
    Column2
    Column3
    ...etc...

AssociationTableX
    FK pointing to TableBPrimaryKeyColumn
    FK pointing to TableCPrimaryKeyColumn
    ....(where those 2 columns together make the primary key of  AssociationTableX)...

...etc...

...pretty typical...

...however, in most cases the one of these table is the "primary object" and it is related to zero-to-many "code table rows", for example...

...and in such case I will want a CSV list of codes in display-mode (maybe) and a checkboxlist in edit-mode, for example...

...I can disply using a derived column that builds the CSV list-- but, editing via a checkboxlist and suppressing navigation is killing me...

...this is all pretty standard data modelling, so...

...any thoughts?

...how are you doing this?

(FWIW, I think that the FieldTemplates Children.ascx and/or ForeignKey.ascx and/or ForeignKey_Edit.ascx need to be modified-- but, I am just hacking through the changes and would be happy to get some hints, etc.)

Please advise.

Thank you.

-- Mark Kamoski

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:04 PM

All replies

• User-1614457691 posted

Maybe I can use a UIHint to use a checkboxlist and populate it from a calculated column that is a delimited-list?

How to do that generically is the real question, I think.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 7:46 AM