not able to connect sqlserver 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• TITLE: Connect to Server
    ------------------------------

Cannot connect to @DELL@\SQLEXPRESS.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: -1)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=-1&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK
    Thursday, May 17, 2012 9:49 AM

Answers

• If you log in to your @DELL@ machine and find that SQL Server Express is not installed, then it sounds like you will need to reinstall.  If you log into that machine and the instance exists, then you'll want to figure out the remote connection issue, which is likely fixed by the suggestions above.

Thanks,
    Sam Lester (MSFT)

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by Maggie Luo Monday, May 21, 2012 6:25 AM
    • Marked as answer by Maggie Luo Friday, May 25, 2012 5:57 AM
    Saturday, May 19, 2012 8:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    Check that:

- remote connections is enabled

- SQL Server Browser service is running

- UDP port 1434 and the port SQL Server is listening on is added to your firewall exception list (and the sql service and browser exe)

- TCP, named pipes enabled

Can you ping @DELL@

Can you logon locally to the SQL Server?

Thanks,

Andrew Bainbridge
    SQL Server DBA

Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem, or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you

Thursday, May 17, 2012 10:36 AM
  • Hello,

Please check the following

• The SQL computer is connected to the network your are connecting from (CMD - > PING/IPCONFIG)
    • Go to your SQL Server Configuration Manager and enable TCP/IP protocol (I suggest you add a static port other than default, default:1433)
    • Go to your firewall settings and add an exception for your SQL port or add an application exception

You might also want to Enable Mixed mode authentication and change the SA password (If you're not going to use AD Authentication)

You should then be able to connect "PCNAME/INSTANCE,PORT"

Thursday, May 17, 2012 10:50 AM
  • if you're using the search function of the forum you would get a lot of useful tips to locate and solve your specific problem.

how are you trying to connect to dell\sqlexpress?

have you check that the computer dell does realy have a SQL Server (Express) instance named SQLEXPRESS or did you install only SQL Server Management Studio Express?

Please use Mark as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Thursday, May 17, 2012 12:51 PM
  • On service i am not able to find SQLSERVER..

and i am able to ping through @DELL@ ..

please help me how to recover from it am i need to reinstall it???

Thanks

Tarun Kumar Bhuyan
    Friday, May 18, 2012 5:32 PM
  • Did you uninstall the SQL Server instance?  If you run services.msc, do you see an entry in there for "SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS)"?  How are you trying to connect?  Locally or remotely?  Through SSMS or application code?  Seaching for this topic will reveal numerous helpful posts and providing us with more specific data would help troubleshoot.

Thanks,
    Sam Lester (MSFT)

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, May 18, 2012 5:52 PM
  • On running Services.msc there is no program of SQLEXPRESS .

I AM TRYING TO CONNECT THROUGH SSMS LOCALLY.AM I NEED TO REINSTALL IT??

Thanks,

Tarun Kumar Bhuyan

Saturday, May 19, 2012 6:41 PM
  • If you log in to your @DELL@ machine and find that SQL Server Express is not installed, then it sounds like you will need to reinstall.  If you log into that machine and the instance exists, then you'll want to figure out the remote connection issue, which is likely fixed by the suggestions above.

Thanks,
    Sam Lester (MSFT)

• Proposed as answer by Maggie Luo Monday, May 21, 2012 6:25 AM
    • Marked as answer by Maggie Luo Friday, May 25, 2012 5:57 AM
    Saturday, May 19, 2012 8:43 PM