Directions Module Only Shows Directions in UTC time RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Not sure if I'm missing something, but the directions module for from the Bing V8 Map SDK renders directions in UTC time.

You can that here: https://www.bing.com/api/maps/sdk/mapcontrol/isdk/directionscreatedrivingroute

I'm not sure if there's a property that will set the output to the user's time zone so they get relevant times.

Thanks.

• Edited by Broc8875 Tuesday, October 13, 2020 12:57 PM
    Friday, October 9, 2020 6:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Broc,

Is there are reason you wouldn't use date time functions? (https://www.w3schools.com/Tags/att_time_datetime.asp)

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Wednesday, October 14, 2020 10:58 PM
  • So the UTC time shows up in the print out window that renders from the directions, which I believe is return from the bing api.
    Thursday, October 15, 2020 2:48 AM
  • Yes. When you create your solution you would customize. We offer an API that you would use to create your solution.
    Friday, October 16, 2020 4:25 PM
  • How would you change the dates when the output is coming from the api? From my understand we just set the attributes in setRenderOptions and then call calculateDirections. The api then just auto fills the turn by turn directions with the times which are in UTC.
    Monday, October 19, 2020 12:34 PM
  • When you pull the values from the XML you will convert them to local time.
    Friday, October 23, 2020 6:17 PM
  • No sure if I'm missing something but all we're doing is passing the DOM element then calling calculateDirections(). The API handles the rendering of the directions into the panel after that.
    Friday, November 6, 2020 8:55 PM
  • What time zone is the browser in?  The Web control gets all such details from the browser that hosts it so if there are security settings that are not allowing the browser to share those details, all it can offer is UTC.

Saturday, November 7, 2020 9:11 PM
  • The browser that I'm testing with should be in eastern. But we also have customers that are across the US in all of the US time zones that also see the outputted directions in UTC.

If I do a new Date() in JavaScript is comes back with the local time of the browser, but as far as my browser there shouldn't be any security settings that stop my time zone from getting shared.

I use other apps like Wrike that correctly create tasks with times based my time zone without having to set anything.

I also just tested again and it looks like the times don't even show up anymore.

This was the old screen shot of the initial issue:

This is something I just did:

Was this just removed? If so we cant just marked this as solved as the time does not seem to even show up anymore.

• Edited by Broc8875 Monday, November 9, 2020 3:17 PM
    Monday, November 9, 2020 3:16 PM
  • Hi Broc,

I don't have any details for this change but you can always select "Experimental" in the iSDK to see the behavior of the pre-release version of the V8 control.

UPDATE: The V8 control Team has validated that the back end issue that provided the date/time was fixed on October 28 so not related to the V8 Control itself but rather a service it relies on. 

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Monday, November 9, 2020 7:09 PM