No Wireless Adapters Showing In "Select Networks" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've been struggling with this for days and have read everything I can find
    trawling the web for ages & tried everything within my limited abilities but no joy -

No Wireless Adapters Showing In "Select Networks"

This isn't necessarily a Microsoft Network Monitor 3.4 issue
    because I've tried numerous similar Windows 7 (Home Premium) compatible programs
    and none detect my wireless AR9285 card on my Sony VAIO vpcee2e1e notebook

e.g. Wireshark also won't detect my adapter with WinPcap_4_1_2.exe installed

I've tried nmconfig.exe/install - nothing
    and nmconfig/install - nothing

I'm running everything as administrator i.e. "run as administrator"

Any tips please :-)

Cormac

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 4:11 AM

Answers

• I don't believe this is related to spyware or a virus either. And since both Netmon and Wireshark can capture, there must be something specific to your system.  It seems based on the info above that the driver is not getting installed, which is strange.  However there are a few drivers listed above that I'm not familiar with.  One step we could take is to disable those.  So here is a list of things we could try.

1.  As a test, disable the Connectify, VirtualBox Bridge, and Comodo Internet Security Firewall.  If you are worried about becoming exposed to viruses, just disable your network connect while doing this step.  Then attemp to run NMConfig /Install at a CMD prompt that is run as administrator (Rigth click, run as admin).  Check to see if drivers now show up.

2.  Uninstall each of the above and again test with NMConfig /install.  Again check if drivers show up in Netmon.

If either of these work, we could re-enable each once at a time while continuing to stop/restart netmon and see if the drivers continue to show up.

We could also collect some system and log informaiton to see if we see an error.  However, I'm not sure these will be helpful.  But they can't hurt to try.  To send this data, create an account on http://skydrive.live.com and copy the files to the public folder.  Then copy and paste the link to those files back to me so I can view the log files.

3.  Upload the NM Installer log.  You can find the location by going to a CMD prompt at typing "dir %tmp%\NetmonInstall.log".

4. Using NetSh we can get some logging which might give me a clue if a problem is occuring.  To understand this data, I will also need some registry entry info which I'll give instructions for below.

a. Run PowerShell (you can search from the start menu).  Then copy this command to the command line and return the list back to me as a file on the skydrive.  The command is all one line.  Don't worry if you see an error as one of the keys can't be accessed.  This returns a list of network interface GUIDs and the names.  I'll use this to coorelate to the trace info from NetSh.

gci -path "hklm:\system\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}" | foreach -process { (gp ("hklm:\" + $_.Name.substring(19))).NetCfgInstanceId, (gp ("hklm:\" + $_.Name.substring(19))).DriverDesc, (gp ("hklm:\" + $_.Name.substring(19))).NetLuidIndex}

b.  At an Admin CMD prompt, type "nmconfig /uninstall".  This won't return anything, but I just want to be sure we are in a clean state.  Wait 1 minute before doing the next step to let the machine settle down.

c.  At the same Admin CMD prompt, type "netsh trace start provider=Microsoft-Windows-NDIS".  This will start logging NDIS info which I hope will indicate something when we try to install the netmon driver.

d.  At the same Admin CMD prompt, type "nmconfig /install".  Again wait for a minute again so we collect any messages that might occur.

e.  At the same Admin CMD prmopt, type "netsh trace stop".  This should step the logging and after a while it will exit.  Once it does, use the path listed when you started the trace and send that file to me as well.

Hopefully with this information, I can get some idea of what is going on.  But I would liketo set your expectations that this is a strange problem that we have not encountered before.  It's possible you might have to get support from Sony or if you choose not to uninstall those drivers mentioned above, those companies as well.

Thanks,

Paul

• Marked as answer by Paul E Long Friday, August 13, 2010 1:40 PM
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:33 PM
  • Eurekea!!!!  Uninstalling VirtualBox, Installing NM3.4, running it, and then installing VirtualBox again worked.  All my adapters show up, including the VirtualBox ones.
    • Marked as answer by Paul E Long Monday, October 25, 2010 3:16 PM
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 7:16 PM

All replies

• Is this something to do with the wireless card or it's set-up ???

Practically everything suggested elsewhere on these forums / on the web
    has been tried to no avail however I am not a computer programmer

e.g. I don't know how to copy text from cmd.exe to post here ;(

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 4:18 AM
  • Hi,

6 hours of trying later & I still can't get NM3.4 to detect my wireless card.

Not nagging, just saying I'm still trying and actively seeking assistance :-)

Thanks

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 10:30 AM
  • So do you see other adapters in the Select Networks window?

If so, when you look at the properties of the Wireless NIC, do you see that the Netmon driver is bound?  To check this, right click on the Network Icon in your TaskBar (it looks like a Monitor with a pitchfork to the left), then select "open Network Sharing Center.  Next choose Adapter settings in the upper left hand corner.  Right click the wireless adapter and choose properties.  In the list you should see "Microsoft Network Monitor 3 Driver" and it should be checked.

It would also help to get the results of an IPConfig.  To do this open a CMD prompt (WindowKey+R, then type cmd and enter).  Then at the prompt, type "IPCONFIG /ALL".  This will list all the IP properties.  Highlight the entire output by pressing Alt+SpaceBar, then e+k.  This should enable your mouse to mark the text.  When you are done, hit enter and this will copy the text to the clipboard.  BTW, in the CMD properties (Alt+SpaceBar P), you can set the QuickEdit Mode under Options so that clicking with the mouse always Marks the text.  Many people make this the default.

Let's start with that info and take it from there.

Thanks,

Paul

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 6:17 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Thank you for your reply :-)

I followed your instructions and "Microsoft Network Monitor 3 Driver" isn't listed & thus is not checked.

IPCOFIG/ALL       Reads ->

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Administrator>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : VAIO
       Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
       IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

PPP adapter 1.3G:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 1.3G
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 178.167.159.76(Preferred)
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 83.136.47.249
       Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 10.11.12.13
       Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 10.11.12.14
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 62-DD-08-DE-4D-8E
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 54-42-49-29-F5-FE

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 78-DD-08-DE-4D-8E

Tunnel adapter isatap.{73329059-C7DA-41A3-9DF3-EA0B63777B14}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

Tunnel adapter isatap.{30625CBE-05E0-49E4-8016-F1FA70204A25}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

Tunnel adapter isatap.{D28BA75F-7AC5-44D0-B258-5CDCB8A1E932}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #3

Tunnel adapter isatap.{CD030B6C-69B5-42ED-9739-D742FA9B767D}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #4

Tunnel adapter 6TO4 Adapter:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter
       IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2002:b2a7:9f4c::b2a7:9f4c(Preferred)
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 2002:c058:6301::c058:6301
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 83.136.47.249

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
       IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:5ef5:79fd:389a:3c01:4d58:60b3(Pref
    erred)
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::389a:3c01:4d58:60b3%14(Preferred)
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\Users\Administrator>

Thanks for the quick edit mode tip :-)
    I hope this information will be of use.

Much appreciation,

Cormac

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 9:35 PM
  • Hi Paul,

I just reinstalled NM34_x64.exe as administratir, choosing the repair option, hoping the driver would install - no joy :(

Thanks again for your support :)

Cormac

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 9:49 PM
  • Me Again :)

Forgot to say -

Nothing shows in the select networks box....

Ta

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 9:51 PM
  • I see that the adatper says "Media disconnected" are you able to connect to your wireless network at all?

Does anything show up in the Select Network Dialog in Network Monitor (can you list them out)?

Can you send me the list of drivers that do show up in the network properties dialog for the wireless adapter?

Thanks,

Paul

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 1:53 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.
    Nothing whatsoever shows in the NM Select Netwoirk Dialog - never has & nothing now :(

Background stuff::

I currently and mailny use a USB wireless adpter, not the Atheros card, not having broadband in my home.

I have managed to connect to wireless routers using the AR9285 card at e.g. a relatives house
    and other networks are listed in the "Connect to" Windows 7 box, plus the AR9285 drivers are up to date
    according to Driver genius pro / windows check via AR9285 properties

Note: the AR9285 driver was updated about a month ago when this laptop was purchased
    and I have not yet rolled back the new driver to check if this solves the p[roblem.

Also, my laptop is 99.99% guaranteed to be virus and spyware free -
    I list as clean with Avast Pro, Trendmicro Housecall, Spybot, SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes
    and have no reason to suspect any infections.

My WIN7 is also fully updated (Home Premium)

______________________________________________________________________________________________

AR9285 Drivers list ::

All the following are both listed and ticked -

Client for Microsoft Networks
    Connectify Driver
    VirtualBox Bridged Network Driver
    Comodo Internet Security Firewall Driver
    QoS Packet Scheduler
    File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
    Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)
    Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
    Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver
    Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you again for you assistance with this matter

Cormac Stone

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 5:00 PM
  • I don't believe this is related to spyware or a virus either. And since both Netmon and Wireshark can capture, there must be something specific to your system.  It seems based on the info above that the driver is not getting installed, which is strange.  However there are a few drivers listed above that I'm not familiar with.  One step we could take is to disable those.  So here is a list of things we could try.

1.  As a test, disable the Connectify, VirtualBox Bridge, and Comodo Internet Security Firewall.  If you are worried about becoming exposed to viruses, just disable your network connect while doing this step.  Then attemp to run NMConfig /Install at a CMD prompt that is run as administrator (Rigth click, run as admin).  Check to see if drivers now show up.

2.  Uninstall each of the above and again test with NMConfig /install.  Again check if drivers show up in Netmon.

If either of these work, we could re-enable each once at a time while continuing to stop/restart netmon and see if the drivers continue to show up.

We could also collect some system and log informaiton to see if we see an error.  However, I'm not sure these will be helpful.  But they can't hurt to try.  To send this data, create an account on http://skydrive.live.com and copy the files to the public folder.  Then copy and paste the link to those files back to me so I can view the log files.

3.  Upload the NM Installer log.  You can find the location by going to a CMD prompt at typing "dir %tmp%\NetmonInstall.log".

4. Using NetSh we can get some logging which might give me a clue if a problem is occuring.  To understand this data, I will also need some registry entry info which I'll give instructions for below.

a. Run PowerShell (you can search from the start menu).  Then copy this command to the command line and return the list back to me as a file on the skydrive.  The command is all one line.  Don't worry if you see an error as one of the keys can't be accessed.  This returns a list of network interface GUIDs and the names.  I'll use this to coorelate to the trace info from NetSh.

gci -path "hklm:\system\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}" | foreach -process { (gp ("hklm:\" + $_.Name.substring(19))).NetCfgInstanceId, (gp ("hklm:\" + $_.Name.substring(19))).DriverDesc, (gp ("hklm:\" + $_.Name.substring(19))).NetLuidIndex}

b.  At an Admin CMD prompt, type "nmconfig /uninstall".  This won't return anything, but I just want to be sure we are in a clean state.  Wait 1 minute before doing the next step to let the machine settle down.

c.  At the same Admin CMD prompt, type "netsh trace start provider=Microsoft-Windows-NDIS".  This will start logging NDIS info which I hope will indicate something when we try to install the netmon driver.

d.  At the same Admin CMD prompt, type "nmconfig /install".  Again wait for a minute again so we collect any messages that might occur.

e.  At the same Admin CMD prmopt, type "netsh trace stop".  This should step the logging and after a while it will exit.  Once it does, use the path listed when you started the trace and send that file to me as well.

Hopefully with this information, I can get some idea of what is going on.  But I would liketo set your expectations that this is a strange problem that we have not encountered before.  It's possible you might have to get support from Sony or if you choose not to uninstall those drivers mentioned above, those companies as well.

Thanks,

Paul

• Marked as answer by Paul E Long Friday, August 13, 2010 1:40 PM
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:33 PM
  • Hi Paul, thanks for you detective work :-)

I followed your instructions and the results are:

1) Unticked comodo, connectify & virtual box in AR9285 properties & ran nmconfig /all as admin ::

C:\Windows\system32>nmconfig /all

C:\Windows\system32>

Result:: Network monitor detects no network adaptors

2) Uninstalled comodo, connectify & virtual box drivers  via AR9285 propertieas & restarted the machine, ran nmconfig as admin ::

Result:: Network monitor detects no network adaptors

3) I regulary clean temp files with ccleaner / your uninstaller and could not find a log file ::

C:\Windows\system32>dir %tmp%\NetmonInstall.log
     Volume in drive C has no label.
     Volume Serial Number is F062-B24E

Directory of C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp

File Not Found

So I uninstalled Network Monitor & NM Parsers & reinstalled the program and

SUCCESS !!!!! SUCCESS !!!!!SUCCESS !!!!! SUCCESS !!!!! SUCCESS !!!!! SUCCESS !!!!! SUCCESS !!!!! SUCCESS !!!!! SUCCESS !!!!! SUCCESS !!!!!

NM now shows my adapters !!!!!!

I didn't bother continuing past #3 as I hope we have a result !!!

Just one last question please....

Was this just a botchy NM install day one or related to the driver uninstalls in part 1) & 2) ????

i.e. can I reinstall especially my Comodo firewall drivers (I'd prefer to be fully protected by a firewall) ?

Virtual Box is an open source program similar to MS Virtual PC (which won't install on Win7HP)

I installed it so I can mess about with UBUNTU etc or install XP on the side...

I would like to keep this program active.

Connectify is a program that converts AR9285 to a router so I can e.g. have both my VAIO

and my old HP laptops both connected to the web via the VAIO using a singler USB internet receiver

I don't really need this program but it is a cool extra.

BTW  - THANK YOU PAUL !!!!

I could never have sorted this myself :-)

Cormac

Friday, August 13, 2010 12:00 PM
  • BTW CMD as admin still shows

seesh !!!!

Friday, August 13, 2010 12:05 PM
  • Yea!!!  Glad it's working.

I don't belive nmconfig will show anything as it doens't produce any output.  Though I agree it really should.  Mostly it runs in the background during install, but obviously for these t-shooting scenarios some decent messages would have helped.

My guess is that one of the drivers you uninstalled prevented the driver from binding.  The VM driver seems the most likely as I could see how this might mess up Wireshark as well.  But we really won't know for sure unless you want to uninstall netmon and test with the two devices. 

You can try to re-install the programs one at a time and see if things still work.  If Netmon fails to see network, then the drivers can't co-exist.  If they both install, then there was just something about one of the drivers that caused our driver install to fail. 

If you are able to find out anymore information about which driver was at fault, it would be helpful to post the info here so future people can see your results.

Paul

Friday, August 13, 2010 1:40 PM
  • Hi Paul,

It seems it was a botched NM install originally, perhaps :-)

I have reinstalled Virtual Box (an open source program similar to MS Virtual PC) and Network Monitor is unaffected.

However, this time around NM was installed first and VBox afterwards, as opposed to the reverse order before, hence the perhaps.

Thank you again for your assistance with this matter, I'm delighted to hasve NM working properly at last
    and could not have sorted this myself, your persistence, expertise and ability to pitch your response to my level
    are commendable.

Cormac

Saturday, August 14, 2010 12:00 PM
  • Hi Paul,

It seems it was a botched NM install originally, perhaps :-)

I have reinstalled Virtual Box (an open source program similar to MS Virtual PC) and Network Monitor is unaffected.

However, this time around NM was installed first and VBox afterwards, as opposed to the reverse order before, hence the perhaps.

Thank you again for your assistance with this matter, I'm delighted to hasve NM working properly at last
    and could not have sorted this myself, your persistence, expertise and ability to pitch your response to my level
    are commendable.

Cormac

I bet that's it.  I too have VirtualBox installed and NM3.4 won't bind to my adapters.  I guess I will uninstall VirtualBox, install NM3.4 and reinstall VB.  What a pain, but a workaround.  I will report back to let you know if it was that simple.

Jimmy

Thursday, October 21, 2010 7:05 PM
  • Eurekea!!!!  Uninstalling VirtualBox, Installing NM3.4, running it, and then installing VirtualBox again worked.  All my adapters show up, including the VirtualBox ones.
    • Marked as answer by Paul E Long Monday, October 25, 2010 3:16 PM
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 7:16 PM
  • Win 7 Ult x86, no VirtualBox,

A dual-boot XP version of NetMon was seen during the install and its drive (W:) cropped up as TargetDir and RootDir in the nminstall.log -  implies that damaged the install on C:

I tried most of the things here, and the fiddle that fixed it was to go to the adapter's properties and the NetMon driver was not there. I did Add > Service > NetMon Driver > Install , and it added itself and started working.

Sunday, May 29, 2011 7:45 AM
  • Hello :)

I have been having a relative problem in  my friend's pc. Netmon doesn't show his Ethernet at all as local area connections. Wireshark on the other hand seems to properly detect them. Strange thing is that the netmon3 drivers are listed and ticked in the drivers list of both ethernets. The model is Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E on an Asus Rampage II Extreme.  The only other non- standard listed thing is Kaspersky Anti-Virus NDIS 6 Filter. Tried disabling this as suggested and re-installing netmon but it doesn't seem to work. 

Any ideas anyone? :) thanks in advance

Thursday, June 30, 2011 5:17 PM
  • Does anything change when you run Netmon as administrator?

Can you try typing "sc query nm3" at a command prompt and tell me what it returns?

What OS are you using?

Thanks,

Thursday, June 30, 2011 8:04 PM
  • Hello and thanks for answering :)

I was already running netmon as admin and no it doesn't make any difference :-(

Typing "sc query nm3" gets me :

SERVICE_NAME: NM3

TYPE: 1 KERNEL_DRIVER

STATE: 4 RUNNING (STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)

WIN32_EXIT_CODE:  0 (0X0)

SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0  (0X0)

CHECKPOINT   : 0X0

WAIT_HINT: 0X0

The OS is windows 7 ultimate x 64 with sp1 and all updates installed.

Saturday, July 2, 2011 6:00 PM
  • So it looks like the driver is running.  The only problem must be how the driver is attaching itself to the NIC.  One thing you could try is typing "NMConfig /Uninstall" followed by "NMConfig /Install" at an admin command prompt.  Then re-run Netmon and see if the NICs show up.  If they don't then it's likely some interference from another driver, like the Kaspersky antivirus.  What you can try is to uninstall (not just disable) all other 3rd party drivers that show in that list.  If it works, then perhaps an alternate install order will allow you to keep the drivers you uninstalled.  I've had reports that Virtual Server software can also cause issues here.

Paul

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 7:12 PM
  • lil late to be helping out here but it seems to me all i had to do is click run as admin and all my network adapters showed up, maybe this could help a few people.

• Proposed as answer by larson77 Friday, October 12, 2012 4:59 PM
    Saturday, March 24, 2012 5:33 AM
  • Thank You right clicking on the icon and running it as administrator solved it for me!

Aron

Friday, October 12, 2012 4:59 PM