What's the difference between WPF and UWP technology? Which is more promising? RRS feed

• Question

• WPF's popularity seems to be on the decline,especially Microsoft begin to focus on cross platform UWP, WPF developers seem to be getting less and less. What technology is the best choice for developing desktop applications? I know UWP also use XAML language, Should I skip to learn WPF and go straight to  learn UWP? Which is more promising? Will WPF and UWP coexist for a long time?
    Friday, September 8, 2017 5:24 PM

Answers

• hi thomasqs 

well uwp is a sandbox , it works on windows, windows phone, surfaces, xbox. pretty much everything that is a microsoft device.  

But you can't have the full freedom like you have in wpf. It's more sandbox. The architecture in the uwp is different.

Also there are little tiny diffirences in the xaml code. 

wpf  exists longer and is more mature then uwp. I think personally if you want to create a decent desktop application wpf is really good . It's still around because alot people like it. UWP is like new kid on the block , it's not mature yet and it's still needs to grow. But if you to want create an app for the windows devices then UWP is excellent and is the way to go. 

It's still a good idea to learn WPF ,  if you know WPF I personally guarantee you that you can work with UPW. The Xaml will be different and the architecture is also different.

I guess it depens on what your are going to make :)  

interesting articles 

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/89818/microsoft-tries-lure-desktop-developers-uwp-dark-side

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-repositioning-uwp-desktop

https://www.quora.com/Which-is-best-for-Windows-development-in-C-WPF-or-UWPI hope it helps you :)

Friendly regards

Laurens

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by laurens vdb Friday, September 8, 2017 8:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by b_thomasqs Sunday, September 10, 2017 11:11 AM
    Friday, September 8, 2017 8:05 PM
  • UWP is nowhere near as mature as WPF.

The windows phone never had very much market.

Very few people buy a surface which doesn't have full windows on it.

Even the windows store now allows regular windows applications and hence WPF.

I don't have any clients who say "let's have a UWP app".

I don't really follow what the market is for UWP apps.

Certainly for the foreseeable future, I will be working in WPF on desktop apps.

I don't think it's wpf popularity which is in decline so much as desktop applications in general.

Web browser based applications which have been on the rise for some time.

The consumer expects apps on their phone and tablet.

Any operating system, any laptop no matter what it is.

The easiest way to deliver that is in a browser.

Hope that helps.

Technet articles: WPF: Layout Lab; All my Technet Articles

Friday, September 8, 2017 6:01 PM
  • You don't specify the purpose of the question. Are you asking for the purpose of developing software that you sell or are you asking about getting employment developing systems for a company's internal use? The answer is very different for those two possibilities. If you want to know what employers are looking for then you should look at help wanted advertisements and websites for finding employment.

Generally speaking, both are worth knowing. WPF and UWP are both constrained by the classic Windows API. WPF uses Windows windows with a window handle and all that. UWP can be frustrating (async/await at least) due to it's dependence on classic Windows.

It is my understanding that many companies still use Windows Forms.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Friday, September 8, 2017 9:48 PM

All replies

• UWP is nowhere near as mature as WPF.

The windows phone never had very much market.

Very few people buy a surface which doesn't have full windows on it.

Even the windows store now allows regular windows applications and hence WPF.

I don't have any clients who say "let's have a UWP app".

I don't really follow what the market is for UWP apps.

Certainly for the foreseeable future, I will be working in WPF on desktop apps.

I don't think it's wpf popularity which is in decline so much as desktop applications in general.

Web browser based applications which have been on the rise for some time.

The consumer expects apps on their phone and tablet.

Any operating system, any laptop no matter what it is.

The easiest way to deliver that is in a browser.

Hope that helps.

Technet articles: WPF: Layout Lab; All my Technet Articles

Friday, September 8, 2017 6:01 PM
  • hi thomasqs 

well uwp is a sandbox , it works on windows, windows phone, surfaces, xbox. pretty much everything that is a microsoft device.  

But you can't have the full freedom like you have in wpf. It's more sandbox. The architecture in the uwp is different.

Also there are little tiny diffirences in the xaml code. 

wpf  exists longer and is more mature then uwp. I think personally if you want to create a decent desktop application wpf is really good . It's still around because alot people like it. UWP is like new kid on the block , it's not mature yet and it's still needs to grow. But if you to want create an app for the windows devices then UWP is excellent and is the way to go. 

It's still a good idea to learn WPF ,  if you know WPF I personally guarantee you that you can work with UPW. The Xaml will be different and the architecture is also different.

I guess it depens on what your are going to make :)  

interesting articles 

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/89818/microsoft-tries-lure-desktop-developers-uwp-dark-side

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-repositioning-uwp-desktop

https://www.quora.com/Which-is-best-for-Windows-development-in-C-WPF-or-UWPI hope it helps you :)

Friendly regards

Laurens

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by laurens vdb Friday, September 8, 2017 8:18 PM
    Friday, September 8, 2017 8:05 PM
  • You don't specify the purpose of the question. Are you asking for the purpose of developing software that you sell or are you asking about getting employment developing systems for a company's internal use? The answer is very different for those two possibilities. If you want to know what employers are looking for then you should look at help wanted advertisements and websites for finding employment.

Generally speaking, both are worth knowing. WPF and UWP are both constrained by the classic Windows API. WPF uses Windows windows with a window handle and all that. UWP can be frustrating (async/await at least) due to it's dependence on classic Windows.

It is my understanding that many companies still use Windows Forms.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Friday, September 8, 2017 9:48 PM
  • Slight correction:

Surface Pros have always run full versions of Windows, the Surface RTs ran Windows RT. From my understanding, all current Surfaces (Surface 3 and up) have full versions of Windows.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2858199/surface-supported-operating-systems

So whether you use UWP or WPF, most Surfaces today can use either. Surface and Surface 2 (RT models) could only use apps from the app store, which could be developed with UWP.

Everything else is dead on though. Depending on the application needs, browser based applications "have been on the rise for some time" and doesn't seem to be slowing down.

Friday, March 2, 2018 7:40 PM