none
Migration from .Net 4.5.2 to .Net 4.5.7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have an application which is run on 4.5.2 framework. If I install Net 4.5.7 framework without pointing to my application to a newer version (4.5.7) Can I get security enhancement?

Thanks

Monday, November 12, 2018 8:24 AM

All replies

• Hi Manoch Priyankara,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

As far as I know, there are not 4.5.7 version in .NET Framework. Did you mean .NET Framework 4.7?

Firstly, the .NET Framework 4.5.1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, 4.7.1, and 4.7.2 are in-place updates to the .NET Framework 4.5, which means that they use the same runtime version.

If you created your app using an earlier version of the .NET Framework, you can generally upgrade it to the .NET Framework 4.5 and its point releases (4.5.1 and 4.5.2), the .NET Framework 4.6 and its point releases (4.6.1 and 4.6.2), or the .NET Framework 4.7 and its point releases (4.7.1 and 4.7.2) easily.  Please have a look with: Migration Guide to the .NET Framework 4.7, 4.6, and 4.5.

If your app doesn't have to be migrated, you can run it in the .NET Framework 4.5 or a later version without recompiling it.

BTW, some change  in the .NET Framework, you can go to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/migration-guide/runtime/4.5.2-4.7#jit then enter you old version and target version, it will shows application compatibility issues that may affect your app.

Best Regards.

May

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, November 13, 2018 6:24 AM
  • If you created your app using an earlier version of the .NET Framework, you can generally upgrade it to the .NET Framework 4.5 and its point releases (4.5.1 and 4.5.2), the .NET Framework 4.6 and its point releases (4.6.1 and 4.6.2), or the .NET Framework 4.7 and its point releases (4.7.1 and 4.7.2) easily. Open your project in Visual Studio. If your project was created in an earlier version of Visual Studio, the Project Compatibility dialog box automatically opens. For more information about upgrading a project in Visual Studio, see Port, Migrate, and Upgrade Visual Studio Projects and Visual Studio 2017 Platform Targeting and Compatibility.

However, some changes in the .NET Framework require changes to your code. You may also want to take advantage of functionality that is new in the .NET Framework 4.5 and its point releases, in the .NET Framework 4.6 and its point releases, or in the .NET Framework 4.7 and its point releases. Making these types of changes to your app for a new version of the .NET Framework is typically referred to as migration. If your app doesn't have to be migrated, you can run it in the .NET Framework 4.5 or a later version without recompiling it.

Migration resources

Review the following documents before you migrate your app from earlier versions of the .NET Framework to version 4.5, 4.5.1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, 4.7.1, or 4.7.2:

• See Versions and Dependencies to understand the CLR version underlying each version of the .NET Framework and to review guidelines for targeting your apps successfully.

• Review Application Compatibility to find out about runtime and retargeting changes that might affect your app and how to handle them.

• Review What's Obsolete in the Class Library to determine any types or members in your code that have been made obsolete, and the recommended alternatives.

• See What's New for descriptions of new features that you may want to add to your app.

Tuesday, November 13, 2018 7:33 AM
  • Hi May,

Thanks for the response and I apologize for my typo mistake. It should be 4.7.2 framework.

Yes, I know 4.5.1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, 4.7.1, and 4.7.2 are in-place updates to the .NET Framework 4.5 they are using the same runtime version. Here I'm only targeting security fixes for the later version.

That's mean I have an application which is run on 4.5.2 framework and later I'm upgrading to 4.7.2 version (application running server only), but my application not targeting to 4.7.2 version still targeting to 4.5.2.

So my question is, whatever the security fixes from 4.5.2 to 4.7.2 will I get without targeting my application to the newer version? Or to get latest the security fixes do I need to target my application to 4.7.2 version?

Thanks

Tuesday, November 13, 2018 6:42 PM
  • Hi Manoch Priyankara

For a better diagnose your problem further, let me attempt to confirm some info first:

I'm upgrading to 4.7.2 version (application running server only), 

Do you mean that your application is no longer in the same environment as your .net framework 4.7.2?

What’s your application? A solution or installer or setup?

but my application not targeting to 4.7.2 version still targeting to 4.5.2.

How did you do to target your application to 4.7.2? could you share us the more detail steps for that? And have you met some error message when you tried to target app?

I'm upgrading to 4.7.2 version

Which way did you update to 4.7.2? a new installation or other else?

Looking forwards your reply.

May

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 3:47 AM