HealthVault Library For Commercial Use RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is HealthVault Library allowed to be packaged for commercial use?
    Friday, February 19, 2010 7:03 AM

Answers

• Our intention is that it is possible to do this if the partner complies with our standard partner agreement. You can find a lot of information here. If that isn't enough, you can email hvbd@microsoft.com.
    • Marked as answer by maxdrive Tuesday, February 23, 2010 7:32 AM
    Monday, February 22, 2010 10:36 PM

All replies

• Max,

Can you give us a little more information on what you mean by "packaged" and "commercial use"?
    Friday, February 19, 2010 5:16 PM
  • Hi Eric,

What i meant is that, can i make HV libararies (HV assembly files) be part of the solution package delivered to my clients. So if i develop an application and ship it to several clients is it allowed for me to include the HV libraries inside my software package.

Thanks.

Regards,
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 6:44 AM
  • Our intention is that it is possible to do this if the partner complies with our standard partner agreement. You can find a lot of information here. If that isn't enough, you can email hvbd@microsoft.com.
    • Marked as answer by maxdrive Tuesday, February 23, 2010 7:32 AM
    Monday, February 22, 2010 10:36 PM
  • Eric,

would you advise as the partner agreement is always available for countries rather than US.

Thanks
    Mustafa
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 2:21 AM
  • HealthVault is currently only available to consumers in the US. We have licensed it to Telus and Siemens for deployment in other countries, but the choice of partners there will be up to those companies.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 4:50 AM
  • Hi Eric,

When you say "partner" you mean us the developer? I guess i'll try emailing your Business Dev to get more info on HV Library usage.

Thanks.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 7:32 AM
  • Yes. I think the proper term is "HealthVault Solution Provider"...
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 4:24 PM
  • Hi Eric,

to sum up, as for a "HealthVault Solution Provider" in Germany or Canada, for example, the agreement with MS-HealthVault can be done directly with Microsoft without going through Telus and Siemens respectively? Otherwise, a developer should consider contacting your partners (in his country) before downloading the SDK and exploring HealthVault.

Sorry, but am a bit confused if I should ever be able to be a HealthVault Solution Provider if am not living/working within the US borders?

Thanks again
    Mustafa

Mustafa Al-Durra B.Sc Computer Engineering MCP, MCDBA, MCAD.NET SoftHealth Inc. (President)
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 11:13 PM
  • I'm not a very techie guy...and this question may be off-topic...I do apologize, if so.  Can iPhone (or Apple'ish apps) have access to the Healthvault?  I have both MS and Apple systems and curious if I'm limited to my HP systems - Microsoft...or is there some way to view via Apple's mobile devices..etc?

Thanks--Charlie
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 4:55 AM
  • Should be possible through web application. I don't know if there's an SDK for Apple but you can try it on a web app since you just use http/https calls.
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 5:44 AM
  • OK, thanks...again, I'm a sales guy vs. technical...  Just so I understand...in the HealthVault zone, would I have the ability to connect those medical devices (Blood Pressure, wieght scale...etc.) to my Apple'ish systems, too?

Thursday, February 25, 2010 1:38 PM
  • Hi ChazMurd,

in order to connect medical devices to HealthVault you will need Microsoft HealthVault Connection Center, which is only available for Windows and does not work with Mac OS.(http://www.healthvault.com/hvcc/system-requirements.html). More details are available here (http://www.healthvault.com/personal/devices-overview.html?rmproc=true).

I hope this could help!.
    Mustafa

Mustafa Al-Durra, B.Sc Computer Engineering, MCP, MCDBA, MCAD.NET, SoftHealth Inc. (President/CEO)
    Friday, February 26, 2010 12:08 AM
  • Hi,

In my opinion you still can connect or shall we say push data to HealthVault using any devices on any platform, provided you have the following:

1. The medical device you want to use knows how to push data to your server.

2. "Server" means inside you have an application that able to call http/htts method or SOAP/REST based web service offered by HealthVault.

This should work since HealtVault API underneath implements web service and web services works in any platform. Web Service is the common denominator for all if you want your application to run on any platform but i still maybe wrong on my assumptions so feel free to correct me.

Regards,
    Friday, February 26, 2010 8:00 AM
  • Hi Maxdrive,

you are absolutely right!. This is exactly what the Microsoft HealthVault Connection Center does.

I suspect we agree that, one still need some software component to serve as an interface between
    the Non-Windows platform on one side and the HealthVault web services on the other hand, provided that the Medical device supports that Non-Windows platform. Having that not provided by Microsoft as "Out of the Box" does not mean it is not possible, right?

@ChazMurd, as for your concerns, you can still do that with Mac OS. However, with considerable development work and your medical devices should support Mac OS as well.

Mustafa

Mustafa Al-Durra, B.Sc Computer Engineering, MCP, MCDBA, MCAD.NET, SoftHealth Inc. (President/CEO)
    Friday, February 26, 2010 4:43 PM
  • It would be possible to do this but only if you could implement the authentication (digital signatures) required by HealthVault applications. Note also that HealthVault is neither SOAP nor REST, though it is similar in approach.

Another option would be to build your own web services that talk to your device and pass the device information off to HealthVault.
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 2:18 AM
  • Hey guys,

Thanks for all the input...much of which goes beyond my understanding...but I basically get it. 

I have since run across this company http://www.medapps.com/HealthHubforIphone.html (a Vault partner).  I even called and chatted with them...but still not sure if they will address all my needs.  And my personal needs have grown into a business desire...thus, I need/want more.  won't continue to bore you with my semi-abstract questions, but if any of you guys can help, maybe we should chat?  Wish to potentially become a Vault parnter, but need further clarification on how/if I can do this technically...etc.

Thanks again--Charlie
    chaz_man@yahoo.com
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 5:30 AM
  • @Charlie (ChazMurd):

HealthVault Applications in iPhone - Yes. You can connect with HealthVault from an iPhone application or we can write mobile applications for HealthVault

Presently we have Microsoft HealthVault SDK for Windows platform to create web and desktop applications but we don’t have corresponding HealthVault SDK for any mobile platform. Though your mobile application can communicate with HealthVault servers as it is purely based on web service calls.

So you have to write your own intermediate service APIs (say a wrapper) which will directly communicate to the HealthVault so that the client can utilize these APIs to do the HealthVault transactions. Please find the list of XML methods that HealthVault currently exposes from this URL, http://developer.healthvault.com/pages/methods/methods.aspx

Please note that the authentication for any application in HealthVault works using a pair of private-public keys. Hence you have to see how certificate management can be handled in iPhone.

Medical Devices in iPhone for transferring data to HealthVault - For Windows platform, we have provided the HealthVault Connection Center to connect with Medical Devices to transfer data to HealthVault but it is not available for any mobile platform. But I believe with considerable work on development of Device Drivers on the Medical Devices you want in iPhone OS, this can be achieved.

Hope this is helpful and please let me know if I missed any of your questions.

Thank you,

Anish Ravindran
    Monday, September 13, 2010 8:53 PM
  • Medical Devices in iPhone for transferring data to HealthVault - Just clarifying one point that we don't need HealthVault Connection Center in mobiles to upload the data to HealthVault. If the iPhone OS has the in-built device drives for the medical devices that you are connecting, then using a client application in iPhone you can connect with HealthVault and transfer data. The client application can be implemented with a HealthVault SODA architecture, please refer to this blog post for more information http://blogs.msdn.com/b/healthvaultfaq/archive/2010/02/24/rich-client-options.aspx .

Thank you,

Anish Ravindran
    • Proposed as answer by Anish Ravindran Thursday, September 16, 2010 4:30 PM
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 5:45 PM