To Brian Keller, Product Manager, Visual J# .NET RRS feed

• Question

• User-82218371 posted
    Brian, How serious is Microsoft about VJ#? Do you feel there will be continued support for and commitment to this language. Since the language is Java based (pending legal issues with Sun Microsystems) and has a close resemblence to C#, I'm concerned that Microsoft might decide to drop it. I'm about to start a .NET project and wanted to give VJ# a shot, but at the same time I don't want to get caught with "my pants down" should MS decide to drop the support for it 12 month down the road. What are yout thoughts on this? Your inpurt is greatly appreciated. Thank you, Russ Rubis
    Wednesday, May 7, 2003 5:45 PM

All replies

• User-1262746453 posted
    I think your concerns about this are exactly what has limited the adoption of J#. Isn't it just a way to get Java programmers into the Microsoft camp?
    Saturday, July 5, 2003 12:49 PM
  • User743145481 posted
    I think they just want to have J# continue, but they probably do not really care about it. C# is supposed to grab Java developers over (It's basically Java++).
    Sunday, July 6, 2003 3:53 PM
  • User97749674 posted
    C# has been kids stuff for the Java developers I know. Its so much more forgiving.
    Sunday, July 6, 2003 9:28 PM
  • User-1340837791 posted
    VJ# was a joke before they implemented Swing support through some patch. Before this patch was issued, the help files regarding VJ# said they weren't implemented because "Windows Forms is a far superior way to develop GUIs than through Swing components and layout managers, which can be difficult and confusing to use" or something along those lines. That was obviously written by somebody who never had a clue about layout managers, and it bothers me that MS has people that aren't familiar with Java developing their Java counterpart. Doesn't seem like the right attitude to be taking if they're serious about VJ#. I prefer layout managers to anything Windows Forms has, cause I hate absolute positioning; I don't know what kinds of clients will be looking at my apps, so for their sake it's much easier to position things relatively. I wish ASP.NET had layout managers (FlowLayout = joke) because with web pages especially, you have no idea what resolutions your clients are running at. Some will be running 1600x1200, others 640x480, so making web pages where everything is a fixed width and size is ridiculous. The only way I've been able to get around that is by exclusively using HTML Server Controls, which is a pain sometimes. [/rant]
    Monday, August 25, 2003 7:12 PM
  • User454966099 posted
    Why would you use VJ# at all ? Just curious why not stay with Java or switch to C#
    Tuesday, November 4, 2003 3:09 PM
  • User97749674 posted
    Theres managed Fortran, why not managed J2EE?
    Thursday, December 4, 2003 6:51 PM