ARM vs. Intel Tablet Relative Performance (both CPU and GPU)?

Question

• Are there any raw performance comparisons of ARM-based devices like Surface RT to Intel-based devices like Surface Pro? I'm developing on a Samsung Slate 7 right now and performance in my app is great. However, after using a friend's Galaxy 9" tablet, I'm concerned about my app's performance on a ARM devices.

My app is both data and graphics heavy. I use D3D for the graphics, which includes GIS elements and data textures. It stresses both the CPU and GPU at times. Unfortunately, I will have no ARM hardware to test with until *after* Win8 is released.

Thanks

Monday, August 27, 2012 5:09 PM

Answers

• I'm not aware of any such comparisons, and I doubt any will be until systems are available. You may be able to get a general idea by looking at the performance of similar non-Windows RT systems.

For now, you might want to find a lower end system to test on and make sure your app scales down when resources are slim. Also make sure you run well with all D3D feature levels and don't require high end cards.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by henador Wednesday, August 29, 2012 4:11 AM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 12:50 AM

All replies

• I'm not aware of any such comparisons, and I doubt any will be until systems are available. You may be able to get a general idea by looking at the performance of similar non-Windows RT systems.

For now, you might want to find a lower end system to test on and make sure your app scales down when resources are slim. Also make sure you run well with all D3D feature levels and don't require high end cards.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by henador Wednesday, August 29, 2012 4:11 AM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 12:50 AM
  • I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens on actual hardware. I'm not comfortable releasing an ARM version of my app until then. The x86 version will be ready by Oct, so it'll be the first out the door.

No problem on the D3D feature levels. I use the sample code's feature level stuff but really only need Shader Model 2.00 support in the hardware. They're fairly simple shaders but they're used a lot.

Thanks for the reply.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 4:14 AM