Incoming mail problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm trying to configure our Sharepoint 2010 farm to send and receive mail.

I've configured Sharepoint to send mails by a SMTP Service installed in a mail server. It works like a charm.

The problem is about the incoming mail. I have to read a couple of POP3 mailboxes and add the downloaded mail to different libraries. To do this, I use a POP3 client who downloads mails from the POP3 mailboxes and it saves the mails in a folder as eml files. I've configured incoming mail in Sharepoint to use this folder as "e-mail drop folder". I've enabled mail at a document library and I've filled the email address.

When I send an email to the library email address, the message is downloaded to the folder. After some seconds, the email dissapears, but it's not added to the library. An error appears in the Sharepoint Server event viewer:

A critical error occurred while processing the incoming e-mail file \\servername\mails\test_mail_00f0a22e62e9f09f42cedfeaf0afcde17dd3f6ee4b21c9d78958c5441c9aba5e.eml. The error was: Bad senders or recipients.. 

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Raul

Thursday, August 11, 2011 1:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I've a solution. I explain all the process that I use because I think it could be very helpful for other people.

I've a server (not a Sharepoint server) with the SMTP Service installed. In the same server I've installed a POP3 Client (http://www.codeode.com/popclient.html). This POP3 Client allows me scheduling the email download. I download the mail to the "c:\inetpub\mailroot\pickup" folder. When a mail arrives the smtp service processes the message and stores it in the "c:\inetpub\mailroot\drop" folder. During the process, the x-sender and x.receiver headers are included in the message.

Finally, I've configured Sharepoint to use the "c:\inetpub\mailroot\drop" folder as incoming email folder.

It works like a charm!

I'm really surprised for the complexity of configure incoming email in Sharepoint. I think Microsoft should work to simplify this configuration.

Regards,

Raul

• Marked as answer by Raúl6 Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:52 PM
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:52 PM

All replies

• Hi Raul,

the following link is taken from MOSS2007, but still looks as it could be applied to your problem as well.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/neilth/archive/2007/10/26/sharepoint-2007-incoming-email.aspx

Please let us know whether it helped you.

Thanks and best regards,

Martin

Martin W. Angler, MCP, MCC, MVP

Blog angler.wordpress.com
    Twitter: Follow me on twitter
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 1:42 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks Martin. I had already read this link.

I've found the problem. I only need now a solution ;)

The problem is that the eml file that I download from the mail server doesn't includes the x-sender and x-receiver headers. If I edit the eml file and type manually these headers, the mail is correctly processed by sharepoint and it appears in the library.

So I need to find a way to download the mail in a correct format. The mailbox is in an external email server, not administered by us, so we can not create a connector to send mail to a local SMTP service. ç

Any idea? I wouldn't want using a script to include the headers in the downloaded eml files...

Thanks,

Raul

Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:13 PM
  • Hi,

I've a solution. I explain all the process that I use because I think it could be very helpful for other people.

I've a server (not a Sharepoint server) with the SMTP Service installed. In the same server I've installed a POP3 Client (http://www.codeode.com/popclient.html). This POP3 Client allows me scheduling the email download. I download the mail to the "c:\inetpub\mailroot\pickup" folder. When a mail arrives the smtp service processes the message and stores it in the "c:\inetpub\mailroot\drop" folder. During the process, the x-sender and x.receiver headers are included in the message.

Finally, I've configured Sharepoint to use the "c:\inetpub\mailroot\drop" folder as incoming email folder.

It works like a charm!

I'm really surprised for the complexity of configure incoming email in Sharepoint. I think Microsoft should work to simplify this configuration.

Regards,

Raul

• Marked as answer by Raúl6 Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:52 PM
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:52 PM