VS2008 Crashes, Hangs etc. Constantly when Working with WPF Code Behind Files (Not Related to the Docking/Undocking KB Article however...) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    ***I cant find a way to post the Cab File containing the VS Logs from the Collect tool... I can Email them to you though, or let me know how to post them... sorry I am new to this...***

I am having alot of problems with my VS freezing up. This issue is NOT due to the 'Undocking/Docking' KB Article, I do have that problem as well, but it doesnt happen as often as this issue.
    I just Reported the problem to Microsoft through Error Reporting, it was an issue that needed more info (an undocumented problem) so I filled out the form, and then read KB Article ID: 946539, with the title:
    "Visual Studio 2008 may stop working when you use the Windows Presentation Foundation Designer in Windows Vista"

In the 'Symptoms' Section of the article, it describes:

You see an entry that resembles the following in the event log:
    .NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.1378 – Fatal Execution Engine Error (7A2E5B07) (0).

Errors listed in My Event Log:

ERROR #1  -  .NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.4016 - Fatal Execution Engine Error (6B821092) (0)

ERROR #2:
    The program devenv.exe version 9.0.30729.1 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Problem Reports and Solutions control panel. Process ID: 1b94 Start Time: 01c9fe4b7afb1f50 Termination Time: 0

I checked my Event log, and sure enough the first error in the Application log was this error, with slightly different numbers, but otherwise the same.
    In the 'More Information' section it said to run the 'Collect Tool' to retrieve all of the "Visual Studio 2008 Setup log files" and then to submit the Results in a New Post on this Website, so here I am.

In my Error Report for Microsoft, I wrote the following:

" When I try to cut and Paste Code from one method to another method in the same class, when Intellisense Pops Up, and other times it is completely random, but VS Locks up and I get a message in the System Tray saying "Visual Studio Is Busy". This has happened quite frequently when doing common tasks in VS. I also have the Docking/Undocking problem but that does not occur as frequently. This issue has just started in the past couple days, the only thing I have changed on my computer since then is to Install Windows Vista SP2. I am unable to re-create the problem as it is fairly random when it decides to lock up on me, sometimes cut/paste operations, other times when intellisense pops up, and numerous other issues, but again it does this randomly so I cant say for sure what is causing it. "

If you are able to look through the logs and let me know what I can do to fix this problem I wold be very grateful, VS is currently almost unusable due to the contsant crashing/locking up so any help would be great.

Computer Setup:
    - Windows Vista Ultimate x86 with SP2
    - VS2008 with SP1
    - CodeRush with Refactor! Pro ver 9.1.5 (VS Addin)

- Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4ghz
    - Asus P5Q-E Motherboard
    - 4gb DDR1066 Ram
    - EVGA Nvidia Geforce FTX 260
    - 1.5tb HD
    - 2x 21" LG LCD Monitors

Thank you in advance for your assistance!
    - Cam M
    • Edited by DotCam Monday, July 6, 2009 9:47 PM Title Not very descriptive
    Monday, July 6, 2009 7:26 PM

Answers

• Hi DJScam

As you have correctly deduced, you will need to install service packs for each release (2.0, 3.0, 3.5) etc of the .NET framework separatley - so for example 3.5 SP1 does not service pack anything other than the 3.5 framework. The different versions of the framework co-exist on your PC.

However subsequent Service Packs on a given version number DO include the fixes from the previous service pack (and also usually roll up any Hotfixes that were issued in between service packs) so you don't have to install each of them in sequence. For instance, if you installed .NET Framework 3.5 SP2, you wouldn't need .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

Based on your issue detection output, you'll need to install the following (all available from the MS download center):

.NET Framework 3.0 SP1
    .NET Framework 2.0 SP1

(I've assumed x86 PC in the links - if you have x64 processor you'll need to look for the x64 links on the download centre)

And then re-try the installation of http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/KB963676 which should work correctly (the only exception being if you are running Windows 7 - the fix in KB963676 will not install on Beta 1 or RC Windows 7 bits, and is currently planned for inclusion in the shipping version of Windows 7)

I hope this all makes sense - feel free to ask further questions if you need clarification.

Mark
    Mark Wilson-Thomas - Program Team - WPF & SL Designer for Visual Studio - posts are provided 'as-is'
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 5:32 PM

All replies

• Hi DJScam

Sorry to hear you're hitting these issues when working in the WPF designer.

1. Based on the Fatal Execution Error you are seeing, it is very likely that you will be fixed by http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/KB963676 - it says it's for MS Exchange but also fixes the WPF designer "Grant Set Exception" failure which I am fairly sure is what you are seeing. This issue can cause hard crashes such as the one you're describing.

2. You may also wish to install KB963035 (http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/KB963035) which solves in intermittent hanging issue in the designer which some customers had reported - this fixes the "Visual Studio is Busy" problem for many WPF designer users.

Please let me know if this helps!

Mark

Mark Wilson-Thomas - Program Team - WPF & SL Designer for Visual Studio - posts are provided 'as-is'
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 1:42 AM
  • Hi Mark,

I tried installing your 1st recommendation but got the error:
    ".Net Framework 2.0 SP1 is Not Installed"

I have been keeping up to date with everything so I am not sure why I dont have that... but then I ran the "NetFx_detect_issues.bat" script I downloaded from MS and when run, I get the following message:

C:\Users\Cam Mason\Desktop>NetFx35_detect_issues.bat
    THE FOLLOWING SCRIPT will check to make sure that .NET Framework 3.5
    is installed properly and will tell you what is not configured appropriately
    WINDOWS VERSION: 6.0.6002
    POTENTIAL ERROR: REGISTRYDUMP: reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework
    Setup\NDP\v2.0.50727" /v "SP"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v2.0.50727
        SP    REG_DWORD    0x2

ERROR: NetFx2.0 SP1 is not installed
    POTENTIAL ERROR: REGISTRYDUMP: reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework
    Setup\NDP\v3.0" /v "SP"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v3.0
        SP    REG_DWORD    0x2

ERROR: Netfx3.0 SP1 is not installed

So I guess the first question I have is:
    - Do you need to download and install each Service Pack and/or Version of the .Net Framework? (for example, downloading .NetFx 3.5 SP1 does that not include previous service packs?)

I'm just guessing... but this is most likeley my issue right? should I just download and install all the parts it says are missing?

I also downladed your 2nd suggestion, and it installed just fine, so hopefully that will help out as well (the KB sounds similar to what I have been experiencing... not exactly the same, but very similar)

Also, I do have a "vslog.cab" file I have created using the 'Collect Tool' from the same place I got the detect issues script... so let me know if this is needed, I would rather not make you go through it (as it took a long time to create, its probably a huge mess of logfiles...) but if its needed I do have it ready.

Thank you very much for your help, I am teaching myself to program in C# and haven't had too many issues so far, but now that I can program from my head (instead of books) I am creating things a lot faster than before and it seems VS sometimes likes to slow it down a bit :)

Thanks again,
    Cam M

• Edited by DotCam Wednesday, July 8, 2009 3:53 PM correct spelling
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 3:41 PM
  • Hi DJScam

As you have correctly deduced, you will need to install service packs for each release (2.0, 3.0, 3.5) etc of the .NET framework separatley - so for example 3.5 SP1 does not service pack anything other than the 3.5 framework. The different versions of the framework co-exist on your PC.

However subsequent Service Packs on a given version number DO include the fixes from the previous service pack (and also usually roll up any Hotfixes that were issued in between service packs) so you don't have to install each of them in sequence. For instance, if you installed .NET Framework 3.5 SP2, you wouldn't need .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

Based on your issue detection output, you'll need to install the following (all available from the MS download center):

.NET Framework 3.0 SP1
    .NET Framework 2.0 SP1

(I've assumed x86 PC in the links - if you have x64 processor you'll need to look for the x64 links on the download centre)

And then re-try the installation of http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/KB963676 which should work correctly (the only exception being if you are running Windows 7 - the fix in KB963676 will not install on Beta 1 or RC Windows 7 bits, and is currently planned for inclusion in the shipping version of Windows 7)

I hope this all makes sense - feel free to ask further questions if you need clarification.

Mark
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 5:32 PM
  • Hi Mark,

After I posted the last comment, I decided that I should just download and install what was missing, and now when I run the tool I dont get any errors. I was pretty sure that would be you solution so I went ahead and got it done.

Everything is working properly so far, I will let you know on a new post if anything goes wrong, but (fingers crossed) I think this should make a difference. I didnt realise at the time that older versions of .NetFx were seperate packages, but now when I think about what I have read in my books, this does make sense.

So once again, thank you for your time, much appreciated!

Now time to get back to my projects! :-)

Thank You,
    Cam M
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 5:46 PM
  • Thanks for letting me know that this worked for you.

I had posted a response recommending that you install all the SPs for the various .NET versions you had installed but the forum system seems to have eaten that post!

I look forward to hearing your feedback as you get started with building WPF apps - feel free to post on this forum or drop me a direct email at mwthomas at microsoft dot com with your observations.

Mark
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 8:19 PM