File not found error when enabling Publishing feature RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

Hope someone in here can help with this one... Been searching the web for an answer, but no luck so far! .oO(Crossing my fingers now!) :)

MOSS SP1
    WSS SP1
    Windows Server 2003 Ent. SP2

I have an issue where some old MOSS content has been restored to a new server. The content works fine, and most all features are ok. But...

When I try to enable the "Office SharePoint Server Publishing" feature i get a "File not found" error - and the eventlog shows the following error:

Category: Publishing Provisioning
    Event ID: 4965

Event log message was: 'Failed to initialize some site properties for Web at Url: 'http://daprojekt.cph.da.dk/ProjectArchive''. Exception was: 'System.IO.FileNotFoundException: The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequestInternalClass.GetMetadataForUrl(String bstrUrl, Int32 METADATAFLAGS, Guid& pgListId, Int32& plItemId, Int32& plType, Object& pvarFileOrFolder)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.GetMetadataForUrl(String bstrUrl, Int32 METADATAFLAGS, Guid& pgListId, Int32& plItemId, Int32& plType, Object& pvarFileOrFolder)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.GetMetadataForUrl(String relUrl, Int32 mondoProcHint, Guid& listId, Int32& itemId, Int32& typeOfObject, Object& fileOrFolder)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.GetList(String strUrl)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Internal.Store.GetListByUrl(SPWeb web, String listUrlName)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Internal.LongRunningOperationJob.<>c__DisplayClassb.<Start>b__1()
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.Diagnostics.FirstChanceHandler.ExceptionFilter(Boolean fRethrowException, TryBlock tryBlock, FilterBlock filter, CatchBlock catchBlock, FinallyBlock finallyBlock)
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.Diagnostics.ULS.SendWatsonOnExceptionTag(ULSTagID tagID, ULSCat categoryID, String output, Boolean fRethrowException, TryBlock tryBlock, CatchBlock catchBlock, FinallyBlock finallyBlock)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Internal.LongRunningOperationJob.<>c__DisplayClassb.<Start>b__0()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.CodeToRunElevatedWrapper(Object state)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.<>c__DisplayClass4.<RunWithElevatedPrivileges>b__2()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SecurityContext.RunAsProcess(CodeToRunElevated secureCode)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(WaitCallback secureCode, Object param)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(CodeToRunElevated secureCode)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Internal.LongRunningOperationJob.Start(SPWeb currentUserWeb)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.InheritableWebPropertyOperation.RunJob(PublishingWeb startingArea, IsWebInheriting isInheriting, MakeInheritanceChange makeChange, OperationFinished operationFinished, String successUrl, String failureUrl, Boolean shouldElevate, LongRunningOperationJob& job)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.InheritableWebPropertyOperation.PushPropertyDown(PublishingWeb startingArea, String successUrl, String failureUrl, LongRunningOperationJob& job)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.InheritableProperty`1.PushPropertyDown(Boolean forceAllSubWebInherit, String successUrl, String failureUrl)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.InheritableProperty`1.SetInherit(Boolean inherit, Boolean forceAllSubWebInherit, String successUrl, String failureUrl, Boolean& updateRequired)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.InheritableProperty`1.SetInherit(Boolean inherit, Boolean forceAllSubWebInherit, Boolean& updateRequired)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Internal.AreaProvisioner.SetLayoutRelatedProperties(PublishingWeb area, Boolean& updateRequired)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Internal.AreaProvisioner.InitializePublishingWebDefaults()'

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

----
    However I'm able to enable the feature through SPSADM with -force for the specific site.

This I could actually live with, but my real concern is when I - later want to move a site to a sub-site in the same Collection. Then I get the same error.

I'm guessing the error is that some feature (folder or file) is missing or currupted... 

-------------------

Thank's

Karsten

MCSA
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:11 PM do not put ... at the end of Titles
    Friday, September 12, 2008 9:22 AM

Answers

• I had the same problem.  Since you're restoring your old site you need to add back the "Alternate Access Mappings", particularly "http://daprojekt.cph.da.dk" (or whatever the url is that is mentioned).  It's looking for that url and can't re-rout to it.
    • Proposed as answer by swirch Tuesday, April 26, 2011 1:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:12 PM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 1:15 AM

All replies

• Did you ever get a solution for this; I'm seeing it as well.
    mrw
    Monday, November 2, 2009 7:25 PM
  • I had the same problem.  Since you're restoring your old site you need to add back the "Alternate Access Mappings", particularly "http://daprojekt.cph.da.dk" (or whatever the url is that is mentioned).  It's looking for that url and can't re-rout to it.
    • Proposed as answer by swirch Tuesday, April 26, 2011 1:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:12 PM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 1:15 AM
  • Thanks Justin, I had the same problem after setting up a DNS entry for my server. I used the server name instead of the DNS name and it worked fine. I will look into the alternate access mappings and implement a full fix.
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 11:05 AM