Access to privileged SMS APIs - for the common (wo)man

Question

• (I see SMS related queries here, so hopefully this is an OK forum to post this in.)

Hello:

I am an Android developer with a moderately popular SMS-forwarding app (www.bitly.com/phoneleash). A lot of my users have asked about a similar app for Windows 8. A brief look at the API docs indicated SMS related classes so I went off and acquired a Lumia. Maybe too hastily for I am now finding out about these APIs being privileged and available to mobile operators only.

I don't imagine being able to call AT&T and ask for them to provide me with their APIs. Is the upshot of this that only the AT&Ts and Verizons of this world (or those commissioned by them) can build such apps? Thats seems awfully limiting considering the variety of apps possible around SMS. So I am hopeful I am reading this incorrectly.

Is there a way to at least create such apps for test and demonstration (using real SMS messages on a real network)? Perhaps with a side-loaded self-signed certificate giving access to these APIs?

Thank you for your guidance

Regards

PVS

pvs a-t gearandroid d-o-t c-o-m

Dev for PhoneLeash on Google Play

PVS Dev for PhoneLeash on Google Play

Monday, December 03, 2012 11:00 PM

Answers

• Hi PVS,

Please post only once. Don't duplicate the same post in multiple forums. As Andrei pointed out in your other post, the Windows Store apps Forums  are for questions about developing Windows Store apps to run on Windows 8 and Windows RT. Questions on developing Windows Phone apps (such as for your Lumia) should go to the Developing for Windows Phone forum. I've moved your other post there already and will lock this one.

As you note, the Windows.Devices.Sms namespace for Windows Store apps are restricted to mobile operator apps.

--Rob

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 12:22 AM
    Owner