ASMX Web Service End Of Life RRS feed

• Question

• User1904752988 posted

We have a situation where a few web services were built back in 2005 using asmx web services. These services are now being revisited and moving them to wcf is a possibility but would be very costly, hence the questions on the table before such a move were:

1. When is the end of life of asmx webservices?

2. Are security patches still being actively or on request being applied to asmx webservices and if so, when will that end?

Does anyone have and answer to these questions and are there any documents that would help answer these questions as well? Thanks.

Friday, March 1, 2013 11:40 AM

Answers

• User-1404016747 posted

That would more than likely fall under the life cycle for the framework used to create them not ASMX itself.

Honestly I do not see ASMX web services going anywhere any time soon support for their use is included in all .NET framework versions. There are also no plans I know of to retire ASP.NET any time soon so I think it is safe to say the end of life for ASMX is not close at hand. That being said updating the framework the ASMX services runs under would extend their life indefinatly or until Microsoft decides ASP.NET is no longer the future.

.NET Framework Product Life Cycles:
    http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?sort=PN&alpha=.NET+Framework&gadate=0&msdate=0&esdate=0&medate=0&Filter=FilterNO

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, March 1, 2013 1:35 PM

All replies

• User-1404016747 posted

That would more than likely fall under the life cycle for the framework used to create them not ASMX itself.

Honestly I do not see ASMX web services going anywhere any time soon support for their use is included in all .NET framework versions. There are also no plans I know of to retire ASP.NET any time soon so I think it is safe to say the end of life for ASMX is not close at hand. That being said updating the framework the ASMX services runs under would extend their life indefinatly or until Microsoft decides ASP.NET is no longer the future.

.NET Framework Product Life Cycles:
    http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?sort=PN&alpha=.NET+Framework&gadate=0&msdate=0&esdate=0&medate=0&Filter=FilterNO

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, March 1, 2013 1:35 PM
  • User1904752988 posted

So I should take it that if security vulnerabilities surfaced in asmx webservices, Microsoft would patch it based on the framework the vulnerability showed up in.

Friday, March 1, 2013 5:52 PM
  • User-1404016747 posted

Yes vulnerabilities which surface in the .NET Framework are taken care of if the framework in question has not hit end of life.
    As far as the code you write which makes up the web service as with any other language security is on you.

Friday, March 1, 2013 11:20 PM
  • User1904752988 posted

Thanks jprochazka.

Monday, March 4, 2013 12:30 PM