none
I change the code but the form doesn't update.

Question

• I saw this last year but forget the fix.

I can add a button, for example, but when I go to run the program, the running form does not show the new button.  I can change the code, or color, in the form and when I run the program, no changes are made.  I go back to edit the form  or code and the changes are there.

I have found that when I do a save-as for the form and give it a new name, everything works with that new named form.

Does that make any sense?

Sunday, April 9, 2017 7:50 AM

Answers

• Ok, I finally was able to try this on another computer and it works so I know it is nothing in my program causing it.  It has to do something with a setting in VB or within that computer..  I could do a re-installation but would rather leave it to continue testing.  I would rather find out why/how it happens instead of eliminating it.  I saw it once two years ago on one student computer at the university and now again on my home system.

Either way, it looks as if I can continue my work without the "Save As" fix.

Sunday, April 9, 2017 5:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If you click on save-as you'll save in a new folder your project, so you'll have lots of folders for the same project. I recommend you to click on save all, like this you save all the code you have writen and will save it in the current folder. Another thing you can try is to compile the solution each time you want to run it.

I hope that this helped you,

Gerry

Sunday, April 9, 2017 8:30 AM
  • Compile,  is that "Build" or "Rebuild"?
    It doesn't do it.
    Sunday, April 9, 2017 8:49 AM
  • Hello,

In Solution Explorer, single right click on the solution name, select "Configuration Manager". After the dialog appears, makes sure there is a check mark for the Build option, if not check it then press close. Next build the project.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Sunday, April 9, 2017 9:32 AM
  • Compile,  is that "Build" or "Rebuild"?

Either.

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Sunday, April 9, 2017 1:46 PM
  • There is a check mark for Build.
    It was there all along.

Sunday, April 9, 2017 4:04 PM
  • What version of Visual Studio are you using?

-EDIT-

If it is anything prior to VS2015 then you should probably upgrade as you might be facing a designer bug which you are inducing through some specific set of actions.

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Sunday, April 9, 2017 4:11 PM
  • "What version of Visual Studio are you using?"

Express 2012 for Windows Desktop.

It is the same software that I have been using for several years now.  I have never seen this here on my home system but it did happen twice on the University system.  Other instructors did not see it and I son;t know if the student did something to cause it.

I will look into reinstalling/upgrading.

Sunday, April 9, 2017 5:03 PM
  • Ok, I finally was able to try this on another computer and it works so I know it is nothing in my program causing it.  It has to do something with a setting in VB or within that computer..  I could do a re-installation but would rather leave it to continue testing.  I would rather find out why/how it happens instead of eliminating it.  I saw it once two years ago on one student computer at the university and now again on my home system.

Either way, it looks as if I can continue my work without the "Save As" fix.

Sunday, April 9, 2017 5:19 PM
  • Hi Gary,

If your problem is resolved, please close the thread by clicking the Mark as answer link at the bottom of one or more appropriate posts.

Thanks!

Sunday, April 9, 2017 6:09 PM