none
Code signing Windows Store Apps

Question

• I can't get a very clear answer on the code signing requirement for deploying Windows Store Apps to the app store, even after searching the Internet for a couple of days. Specifically, my question is: are you required (not just recommended) to have a third party Code Signing Certificate to publish to the Windows App Store?

I am not distributing the app to internal customers, but rather to external customers via the app store. If I'm missing this requirement documented in the documentation available on this site, can you point me to it?

Michael

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 8:15 PM

Answers

• If you distribute your app via Windows Store, you don't need any certificate.
    Code signing is required, but when you distribute it via Store, the Store system signs it automatically.

If you want to distribute out side of Store, (When you don't use Windows Store channel), you need to purchase Symantec code signing certificate.
    Tuesday, February 3, 2015 8:44 AM

All replies

• All methods of deployment (Windows Store, PowerShell or System Center Configuration Manager) require the application to be signed using a certificate. The Windows Store channel requires a signing certificate  from a publicly trusted CA because, well, the testers in the approval process won't have access to your internal PKI.

Visual C++ MVP

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 9:29 PM
  • If you distribute your app via Windows Store, you don't need any certificate.
    Code signing is required, but when you distribute it via Store, the Store system signs it automatically.

If you want to distribute out side of Store, (When you don't use Windows Store channel), you need to purchase Symantec code signing certificate.
    Tuesday, February 3, 2015 8:44 AM