none
DWT derived pages update only when open RRS feed

• Question

• When working on a site with EW4 I noticed that changes to a DWT do not get saved to all attached (derived from DWT) pages unless the pages are actually open in the EW editor. Actually sometimes some of the pages update but randomly. For example, I had a group of 12 pages using a DWT. I made a small change on the DWT itself and saved. EW said it updated 2 pages ( none of the 12 derived pages were open). I tried  save and save all. Still no additional pages updated. I then simply opened all the pages in EW and saved again and they all were saved with the change.

While opening all pages to implement propogating the change is functional it does not seem efficient and I seem to recall that in the past (EW2 ?) that changes did not require the pages be open first. Perhaps this is the intended behavior- anyone else experienced this?

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 7:22 PM

All replies

• Nope, that is not intended behavior. It always updates all of my pages.

Did you run FPCleaner yet? (probably did) Reboot?

Is it always the same pages that don't update? Or just any that aren't open? Have you checked the code in the pages that don't update to see if the DWT boundaries are messed up?

I know that this has been discussed in here before, but my search didn't find any common resolution.

Titanic, the movie, as CSS:

@mixin iceberg {
         float: none;
    }

#titanic {
         @include iceberg;
    }

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 7:29 PM
  • Bob,

Run FPCleaner in case of meta data corruption. What I do when DWTs get out of whack is to turn off meta data, run FP cleaner and then go back and turn meta data back on.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 8:37 PM
  • Bob,

Run FPCleaner in case of meta data corruption. What I do when DWTs get out of whack is to turn off meta data, run FP cleaner and then go back and turn meta data back on.

Just curious, since I haven't encountered this yet, but doesn't that process require you to reattach all the pages? I was under the impression (from a prior post here, I think ;-) that disabling metadata management broke the attachments...

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 8:52 PM
  • I did not run FP cleaner ( did not think to but will do that next) since I have never seen this before. A restart of EW did not fix it but I did not try a machine reboot. This is on my home machine so later tonight I will try again.

Funny about opening pages fixing the issue.

I will report back once I understand more about specific conditions and if FP cleaner does anything- assuming it still occures.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 10:03 PM
  • Opening pages allows updates to work because the pages are in EW's memory. That's why pages that are open live on the server will update. The other thing to check is permissions on your profile's temp folder since that's why DWTs will not update when closed when working live on a server.

For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 11:31 PM
  • Bob,

Just curious, since I haven't encountered this yet, but doesn't that process require you to reattach all the pages? I was under the impression (from a prior post here, I think ;-) that disabling metadata management broke the attachments...

No, removing meta data doesn't change any code in the html pages. When you re-enable meta data it skims all the pages in the site - just like "recalculating hyperlinks" does and rebuilds the meta data from what it finds on the pages. Recalculating hyperlinks will sometimes fix it but it doesn't fix corrupt meta data so dumping the meta data cache both gets rid of corruption and rebuilds the meta data in one swoop.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 11:34 PM
  • surferbob:

Restarting EW or rebooting your machine has no impact on metadata corruption - which usually turns out to be the cause if EW loses its knowledge of DWT connections.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 12:03 AM