none
EDI 850 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I need to test an 850 with a trading partner. I am new to BizTalk. So, I have a question about the EDI 850 schema, PO1 segment. Starting at data element 6, any data elements that follow are part of a loop. In other words, UP with UPC code following, VN with vendor item number following. I have been working with EDI for some time and I know that some trading partners could potentially send these values in a different order. Looking at the Biztalk 850 schema, it seems like whoever created the schema simply created sequential elements, PO101 - PO125. I do see however that the elements, which correspond to the Product/Service ID Qualifier contain the enumeration of all the expected codes. My question is... why not just create a group with max occurs and add it to the PO1 segment at the data element 6? Is it possible?

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 6:45 PM

Answers

• The schemas that ship with BizTalk are auto-generated based on the X12 specs so that's whatever X12 'officially' defines.

Can you modify a schema to match specific implementations, yes.

Can you modify PO1 in this case, no, I don't think so.  It's because the EDI Disassembler at least assumes the X12 Syntax will be respected: Segments, Elements, SubElements, Repeating Elements, etc.

PO101-25 are syntactically Elements and the parser expects to treat them as such.

• Marked as answer by admdev Wednesday, March 26, 2014 8:56 PM
    Wednesday, March 26, 2014 7:25 PM

All replies

• The schemas that ship with BizTalk are auto-generated based on the X12 specs so that's whatever X12 'officially' defines.

Can you modify a schema to match specific implementations, yes.

Can you modify PO1 in this case, no, I don't think so.  It's because the EDI Disassembler at least assumes the X12 Syntax will be respected: Segments, Elements, SubElements, Repeating Elements, etc.

PO101-25 are syntactically Elements and the parser expects to treat them as such.

• Marked as answer by admdev Wednesday, March 26, 2014 8:56 PM
    Wednesday, March 26, 2014 7:25 PM
  • Thanks again boatseller.

Like I said, it will work the way BizTalk has it because all the possible codes were added to the Product/Service ID Qualifier elements. However, other EDI mapping applications, or at least the ones I have been using, have a loop group with two data elements. The loop can be present as many times as required. So instead of having PO101-25, it would be PO1-PO5, then the group loop with only two elements repeats. Just a way to simplify the schema perhaps.

Thanks.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 8:29 PM