none
How can I change the update URL of VSTO Add-in deployed with ClickOnce at run time? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, all!

I'd like to kindly ask your help on my problem.

We have a VSTO Excel add-in deployed with ClickOnce. 
    Our update process is set up so that we call VSTOInstaller.exe inside of the add-in (as opposed to using built-in mechanism), so we have some control over what and when we update.

At some point we came upon the following problem.
    Consider that you have two versions of the add-in (let's call them 'Release' and 'Beta'), published at two different locations.
    What we want to do is to upgrade to one of these versions based on some criteria that our add-in knows.
    Problem here is that (as you probably know) you cannot just go and change the update URL in VSTO version of ClickOnce. I've tried searching for the solution, but with little luck.

I'd like to ask:
    1) If there's some trick I've missed that will enable changing update URL of VSTO add-in on the fly.
    2) If there's a way for us to send some additional information to the server when getting the new version of the add-in (so we would be able to give the user different versions of the add-in using the same URL).

Thanks in advance!
    Dmitry
    Friday, April 12, 2013 4:25 PM

Answers

• i do not think there is any trick to abuse - if you need that granular control, why do not use your own custom updater mechanism? there are plenty of ready compoentns on the net.
    Saturday, April 13, 2013 1:33 PM