locked
Error when trying to load a user control dynamically RRS feed

  • Question

  • User2068649013 posted

    I'm trying to load an embedded user control.

    The user control is embedded to a .dll. Following code is used to load the control.

    UserControl myCurrentControl = (UserControl)LoadControl(@"~/MyControls/CustomControls.dll/MyCustomControl.ascx");

    The issue is this same code working when the project was a Web Site, now I have converted it to a Web Application and this gives the error file cannot be found?

    Am I still referring to the correct location or in Web Apps do I have to load the dll from a different location?

    Please help.

    Friday, June 8, 2012 8:13 AM

Answers

  • User2068649013 posted

    Thanks for the replies, I found what went wrong. This user control is embedded to the dll by setting it's property Build Action to Embedded Resource.

    The problem was with my virtual path provider. I had to register the virtual path provider in "Application_Start" method in Global.asax. In my working web site it was done in AssemblyResourceProvider in App_Code. When converting Web site to Web App since theres no App_Code in web app this whole code was missing. Embarassed

    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, June 11, 2012 2:20 AM

All replies

  • User-1423995609 posted

    If it's in dll, you can just instantiate the instance of UserControl

    UserControl myCurrentControl = new MyCustomControl();



    Friday, June 8, 2012 8:22 AM
  • User3866881 posted

    If it's in dll, you can just instantiate the instance of UserControl

    UserControl myCurrentControl = new MyCustomControl();

    Agree!

    My addition is that you should refer the dll into your proj before you wanna use that……

    Reguards!

    Saturday, June 9, 2012 8:37 PM
  • User2068649013 posted

    Thanks for the replies, I found what went wrong. This user control is embedded to the dll by setting it's property Build Action to Embedded Resource.

    The problem was with my virtual path provider. I had to register the virtual path provider in "Application_Start" method in Global.asax. In my working web site it was done in AssemblyResourceProvider in App_Code. When converting Web site to Web App since theres no App_Code in web app this whole code was missing. Embarassed

    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, June 11, 2012 2:20 AM