error message when calling crystal report, please help! Thanks

Question

• I have serveral web applications on the same server, all other apps are working well with crystal report, however, this one always give me the following error message, please give me some hints, thanks.

I already installed version 10 on the server.

Unspecified error

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Unspecified error

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[COMException (0x80004005): Unspecified error]
       CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.ClientDoc.ReportClientDocumentClass.Open(Object& DocumentPath, Int32 Options) +0
       CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.ReportClientDocumentWrapper.Open(Object& DocumentPath, Int32 Options) +72
       CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.ReportClientDocumentWrapper.EnsureDocumentIsOpened() +218

[Exception: Load report failed.]
       CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.ReportClientDocumentWrapper.EnsureDocumentIsOpened() +269
       CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument.Load(String filename, OpenReportMethod openMethod, Int16 parentJob) +739
       CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument.Load(String filename) +52
       Pallium.admin.report_viewer.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +98
       System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +67
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +35
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +750

Monday, March 6, 2006 10:48 PM

Answers

• Thank you, it is working now.

You are right, it is an access permissions issue.  Thank you so much for your help.

Tuesday, March 7, 2006 5:25 PM

All replies

• Hi!

I suspect that there is some problem with folder names or security settings.

Tuesday, March 7, 2006 12:25 AM
  • Thank you for the reply.

Why do you think something wrong with folder name? Can you give me more details?  as security settings, I believe this app has the same setting with others, and other apps on this server are working fine with crystal report.

For this application, it works fine with crystal report on my local machine, however, when I deployed to the server, it gives me the error message.

Thank you

Tuesday, March 7, 2006 4:55 PM
  • Folder or file name or their access permissions. It's clear that Crystal can't load report, but only at this file/folder. May be you have different options of IIS folder than other apps have? Check Directory and Directory Security property pages on IIS.

If not help - give me more info:

1. is your report runs on other apps? can they open and display it?

2. is it worked before and if yes - after what it fails?

3. are your report using external resources, like other subreports or images?

Tuesday, March 7, 2006 5:08 PM
  • Thank you, it is working now.

You are right, it is an access permissions issue.  Thank you so much for your help.

Tuesday, March 7, 2006 5:25 PM
  • Hi there,

i probably got the same problem, but it doesen't seem to be solveable easy.

I get the same error on a W2k3 Server in a .NET Window and an IIS application.

But however Filemon doesn't detect any permission or folder access errors.

An unusual thing on the server is, that it doesn't have a Harddisk C: (Windows and other applications run on D:)

I even checked permissions on several Temp folders. Some Temp rpt files are even correctly created in them.

@scott Li - Which permission was it in your case the cause of the problem?

My Stacktrace (mini DebugApplication, only instancing a report and showing it with a XML Datasource):

ERROR: Couldn't open Report

at CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.ReportClientDocumentWrapper.EnsureDocumentIsOpened()
       at CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument.Load(String filename, OpenReportMethod openMethod, Int16 parentJob)
       at CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportClass.Load(String reportName, OpenReportMethod openMethod, Int16 parentJob)
       at CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument.s()
       at CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument. (Object f)
       at CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument.SetDataSource(DataSet dataSet)
       at WindowsApplication5.Form1.cmdWithData_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

Wednesday, March 8, 2006 2:51 PM
  • Friday, March 31, 2006 2:51 PM