shared configuration connection failed RRS feed

• Question

• User-1805583275 posted

I'm trying to use shared configuration with a distributed NAS (ISILON).  I created a share on the NAS, and I was able to initiate shared configuration to the device, and it applied without incident.  However, the server immediately after became unable to connect to either of the configuration files and I can no longer administer the configuration nor deactivate the shared configuration.  I am given the message "failed to connect" and prompted to reenter credentials.  No credentials including domain admin work. The connect to server dialog also reads "connecting to "localhost"", which seems suspect, as the UNC it is trying to connect to is \\?\UNC\isilon01\WebConfig\administration.config.

Are there an known issues related to using a NAS/SAN as the source of the shared configuration?  This particular appliance is AD connected using Samba.

Also, is there a way to recover IIS from an unreachable shared configuration?

Thanks,

Brian

Friday, September 26, 2008 1:31 PM

Answers

All replies

• User1073881637 posted

http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/212/offline-files-for-shared-configuration/

Sounds like there is an issue with the NAS server network based or connectivity.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, September 26, 2008 9:52 PM
  • User-1805583275 posted

Essentially, yes that's what I eventually found.  Specifically, the NAS defaulted the samba property for "change notification" to false for its windows shares, but this support appears mandatory for IIS to be able to properly connect to the share, even with the FCNMode of the IIS server set to 1 (disabling file change notification).  Enabling change notification on the NAS share corrected this issue.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 9:47 AM
  • User1073881637 posted

If possible, what type of NAS / SAN where you using?  I take it the OS isn't windows or is samba based.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 5:22 PM
  • User-1805583275 posted

The brand is Isilon.  It is a distributed/clustered NAS solution which runs its own proprietary OS (OneFS) and implements windows shares using samba.  Fortunately they expose the samba options, or I would have been dead in the water with this issue.

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 10:24 AM
  • User1073881637 posted

Thanks for posting the brand and workaround.  We have quite a bit of UNC / NAS based questions in the forums.  I'll be bookmarking this thread for later reference.  It seems the most challenging parts is connecting to a SAMBA based NAS device vs. a windows based one.

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 12:38 PM