windows 8 installation error 0x000021a?

Question

• When i try to install windows 8 developer preview,after the loading symbol i get an error  "error:0x000021a   your computer needs to restart"
    i tried both 32 bit and 64 bit disc images downloaded from Microsoft's site,but gives the same error....
    i am sure that my computer can handle windows 8...but iam not sure what caused it....i tried it on my friends pc and it gave the same error....
    Is there any way to solve it??is this the problem with the dvd?Somebody please help:-(
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 4:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• Rajesh_R,

How are you trying to install the Windows Developer Preview? Perhaps you have an issue with the download and need to download the .iso again.  You can do that from the following site: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

If you burned your .iso to a disk then perhaps you got a bad burn and need to try that again.

Have you tried installing via USB?

What are the specs of your machine?

Please provide more details.

Thanks,

Chris
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 4:49 PM
  • thanks for the reply chris:-)

Sadly i downloaded all the disc images frm http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516 itself....

My hardware configuration is as follows::

Hardware: intel DG41RQ, 2GB RAM, Intel Core2 Duo E7400 2.80ghz, MSI Geforce 9400

i haven't tried USB boot.....

i wasted 3 DVDS burning 32 bit Windows 8 and a DVD for Windows 8 64 bit...but all of them didn't work..:-(

currently iam a windows 7 user...

MEE????@!!!
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 12:56 PM
  • Hey Rajesh_R,

Since this problem occurred on your friend's computer too (I'm assuming your friend has a different make/model of computer) it still sounds like this is related to your installation media.

What software are you using to burn your DVDs?
    Did you try the three disks you burnt on your friend's computer as well? Did they all cause the same error?

If you software supports it, try using a lower burn speed to decrease the chance of an error during burning. Also if your software supports it, try enabling the error-checking option to have your software check the final disk that is created against the .ISO file that it used to burn the disk.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 12:33 AM
  • thanks for the reply steven,

my friend computer  has a different model frm mine....but i have tried only 1 disc on his...let me nw check whether other dvds wrk on his comp and i will inform u.:-)

i used windows image burn tool..but there was no option in there to control the speed ...

thanks again:-)

the other dvds also gave the same error on my frnds comp nw

MEE????@!!!
    • Edited by Rajesh__R Monday, October 17, 2011 1:53 AM update:
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 1:23 PM
  • Hey Rajesh_R,

Since this problem has repeated on all of the installation media that has been created with your PC this far, would it be possible to try downloading and burning one of the .ISO files from the Windows Developer Preview Downloads page while using your friend's computer? If so we could then test to see if that disk could install on your computer or your friend's computer.

Steven
    Monday, October 17, 2011 11:57 PM
  • the usb boot really worked...thnx a lot steven;-)

MEE????@!!!

(it was not working until i unplugged the printer from its port!!))

• Edited by Rajesh__R Monday, October 24, 2011 7:24 AM
    Monday, October 24, 2011 7:22 AM
  • I'm glad to have helped and thanks for the feedback!

Steven
    Monday, October 24, 2011 8:26 PM
  • I'm glad to have helped and thanks for the feedback!

Steven
    :)
    MEE????@!!!
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 10:57 AM
  • Why is it not mentioned that there is a known bug with the Win 8 install?  An indiividual named Michael from Microsoft Support directed me to a thread which clearly states you have to use another install...exe file from within another folder of the install set.

I'm surprised that was never mentioned here. 

• Marked as answer by Rajesh__R Wednesday, October 26, 2011 10:27 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Rajesh__R Wednesday, October 26, 2011 10:27 AM
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 3:46 PM
  • Why is it not mentioned that there is a known bug with the Win 8 install?  An indiividual named Michael from Microsoft Support directed me to a thread which clearly states you have to use another install...exe file from within another folder of the install set.

I'm surprised that was never mentioned here. 

i used another fresh installation dvd and it didn't work ...den i unplugged the printer and it worked...dont know wat changed but i agree that there is a bug:)
    MEE????@!!!
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 10:29 AM
  • i have that same error message hey if u get any help with that please advise of my chances of getting help from u
    Friday, October 28, 2011 9:05 PM
  •  

ikidunot,

i think the main reason for this bug is that developer version is not fully acceptable by all hardware's and hope MS correct the bug in final version..

whats ur hardware configuration?same as mine?

MEE????@!!!
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 6:55 AM