Why i can directly tag users inside NewsFeed, while i can not do the same inside the DiscussionBoard unless i enable the “Community Site Feature” feature RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on a new team site collection inside sharepoint on-premises 2013. now the new team site will have NewsFeed area inside the home page, and this NewsFeed area allow us to tag users as follow:-

enter image description here

so i though i can tag users inside other apps as well. so what i did is that i added a new Discussion Board list. and inside the discussion board item body i tried to tag a user but nothing happened. so i read more about this, and seems i first need to enable a site feature named "Community Site Feature", to be able to tag users inside discussion board lists.. now after enabling this site feature , i got these:-

1. i am able to tag users inside the discussion board list, but inside the auto-compete list i will get this error "FYI you can only mention someone when you are sharing your community activities" instead of getting a list of users, here is the error:-

although this user have shared his activities as follow, this is a screen from the user mysite :-

so can anyone adivce on these 2 points please:-

1. why the NewsFeed will allow us to tag users directly, without having to enable the "Community Site Feature" site feature ? unlike the discussion board list?

2. after i enable the "Community Site Feature" site feature , why i am getting this error "FYI you can only mention someone when you are sharing your community activities", although the user is sharing his activities, as show above?

• Edited by johnjohn11 Friday, September 1, 2017 12:47 PM
    Friday, September 1, 2017 12:46 PM

All replies

• Hi John,

I got a solution to this problem. I know it might not be relevant to you now but in case someone else is struggling with this issue then in addition to allow Tagging an item, you need to allow SharePoint to share your activity of participation in communities.

Please have a look on tagging a user in discussion board for a detailed article.

Mukesh http://sppractices.blogspot.com

Monday, July 27, 2020 2:52 PM