Running VSTS unit tests, according to priority? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am currently working on a project with hundreds of unit tests that can take a long time to complete.  We are using VSTS unit tests.
    I am interested in running only tests of a certain priority as part of our interval builds throughout the day. I am aware I can set an attribute assigning them a priority, but how can I tell MSTest to only run tests of priority 3 (for example.)

Thanks for your help.
    Wednesday, October 25, 2006 8:28 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Unfortunately you are hitting another issue that we currently have in RTM (and don't have a clear repro for it). That vsmdi file shouldn't get created again. There is a workaround for your issue, and it is in this other thread:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=513572&SiteID=1

Any information that you can provide about the context where you're experiencing this scenario will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    David Gorena Elizondo
    [MSFT] VSTS

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 11:49 PM

All replies

• Hello,

We currently do not support that feature. What you can do is put your tests in test lists, and then just run those; you can run test lists either from the IDE or from command line using mstest.

Thanks,
    David Gorena Elizondo
    [MSFT] VSTS

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 10:04 PM
  • Hi,
    Thank you for the quick responce.

I gave Test Lists a try, and it does work how I need it to.

However, to do this, the metadata file (.vsmdi) and list must be passed as a parameter.  I think the metadata (project.vsmdi) is user specific.  Right now, project.vsmdi is checked in, but when they are run a new vsmdi file is created, ie: project1.vsmdi.  If there is a project1, then a project2 is created and so on... on my computer I have 3 versions of our vsmdi, on a coworkers, there are even more.  Does this mean that after each edit, the most current vsmdi will have to be checked in, renamed and/or nant scripts edited?
    Is there a way around this? suggestions?

Thank you again.
    Wednesday, October 25, 2006 11:32 PM
  • Hello,

Unfortunately you are hitting another issue that we currently have in RTM (and don't have a clear repro for it). That vsmdi file shouldn't get created again. There is a workaround for your issue, and it is in this other thread:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=513572&SiteID=1

Any information that you can provide about the context where you're experiencing this scenario will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    David Gorena Elizondo
    [MSFT] VSTS

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 11:49 PM
  • [TestMethod()]
    [Priority(int prior)]
    Thursday, October 26, 2006 10:48 AM