none
Chkdsk.exe and varying effectiveness of versions from different OS's on fouled UFD with NTFS volumes . RRS feed

• Question

• I have the following situation on XP embedded systems:

USB Flash drive gets fouled and in many situations the Chkdsk.exe version included can correct the problem.

I now am finding situations where the XP version cannot not fix the problem, BUT if I take the Flash drive to a Server 2003 (R2) machine and run that OS's version of chkdsk.exe it does correct the errors.  It indicates that the errors were in the MFT and can detect faulty log files. 

I don't need advice telling me that the files might be corrupt.  I already have a system for automatic restore from a remote server, but that won't work if a working disk volume is not available to hold the restored data.

So....  I have a few questions.

What versions of chkdsk.exe exist? 

I understand desktop and Server OS versions are not compatible, but can later versions, ie Win7, be run on XP if the required DLL's are brought with it?

Does any better means exist to detect and correct the errors that is compatible with XP?

FYI the chkdsk version on XP embedded is Vers 5.1.2600.0  even after applying service pack 3 and all updates.  A clean install of XPSP3 (not embedded) has the same file version.  Hence I conclude the file did not change between SP2 and SP3 or through any update since.  The server 2003 version is 5.2.3790.3959

Any Thoughts?

Regards, APS

Thursday, September 19, 2013 9:34 PM