Using AntiXss in @Html.Raw RRS feed

• Question

• User-737375806 posted

Hi,

I want to handle XSS. So, I am using below sample code

C# Code

viewModel.RequestSiteLiveButtonHtml = "<a href='#' id='site' class='btn' data-content='{&quot;RowId&quot;:714886,&quot;SequenceNumber&quot;:1,&quot;Order&quot;:0}' data-assettypeid='1' onclick='ECL.RequestButton(this); return false;'>Sample</a>";

CSHtml View Code

@Html.Raw(Microsoft.Security.Application.Sanitizer.GetSafeHtml(Model.RequestButtonHtml))

But Microsoft.Security.Application.Sanitizer.GetSafeHtml(Model.RequestButtonHtml) is returning the HTML as below

<a href='#' id='site' class='btn'>Sample</a>

So, how can I handle XSS without losing any attribute value

I am using other encoding methods but @Html.Raw is not returning HTML, its returning encoded string.

So, please help me to handle this XSS

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, December 20, 2018 3:43 PM

All replies

• User475983607 posted

Your question is a bit confusing.  First this is HTML encoded.

viewModel.RequestSiteLiveButtonHtml = "<a href='#' id='site' class='btn' data-content='{&quot;RowId&quot;:714886,&quot;SequenceNumber&quot;:1,&quot;Order&quot;:0}' data-assettypeid='1' onclick='ECL.RequestButton(this); return false;'>Sample</a>";

Decode the string first as @Html.Raw() will render as is.

Using @Html.Raw() means that you trust the HTML. 

If you do not trust the HTML then do NOT use @Html.Raw() and rethink the design.

Thursday, December 20, 2018 3:58 PM
  • User-474980206 posted

the point of the XSS filter is to remove all script and non-standard elements from the html and thus make user typed html safe. 

Thursday, December 20, 2018 8:52 PM
  • User1520731567 posted

Hi KumarJalli,

If you use AntiXss,

This is the inevitable result of filtering with AntiXss.

The purpose of AntiXss is to filter untrusted user enter.

I think that using validation with regular expressions against the user enter is the proper countermeasure.

Best Regards.

Yuki Tao

Friday, December 21, 2018 7:15 AM