Finished Coding Silverlight 4 App, Now What? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,
    I'm pretty sure this is a super basic question, and most likely has been addressed already. But, I have finished coding my media player with Visual Studio 2010 using the C# Silverlight type.  Now, I am completely unsure as to how to publish (not sure if that is the right word) the application into a form that I can present on other computers without having to build and run it through Visual Studio.  

My application plays a video that was given to me on a server that I have no other access to, other than that video.  To play the video, all I had to do was point the media element source to the URL of the video, no other credentials or anything needed.  

I think that's all the important background info about my application. 

I just basically want to know how to take my application to the next level and be able to present my application on a different system and NOT through Visual Studio

Monday, September 12, 2011 3:31 PM

Answers

• nvm, figured out another way. I can just send the testpage.html and the .xap file. but now I can't see the video on the server, only local videos. I'll start another thread.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 8:37 PM

All replies

• You need to deploy the application in the IIS.

Before that, you may need to configure IIS, to host silverlight applications

Complete deployment instructions are available here. Check this as well

You can check this example walkthrough as well

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 1:07 AM
  • Someones deleting my replies.. :(

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 1:16 AM
  • thank you so much for the reply. going to look it over right now and hopefully everything works out with little hassle! =D

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 4:30 PM
  • neal I have a question,
    When i'm going through the walkthrough for configuring IIS do I need a server? I understand that I can use my PC to act as a server but I am confused as to how this will help me run my application.

I know that VS2010 and Silverlight is NOT Java.  But I was hoping (very basic leveled and maybe incredibly wrong assumption) that being able to show my application to a prospective employer like a Java executable application.  I understand that as of now, the only way to make a Silverlight application a standalone executable is through 3rd party programs. BUT that is not what i'm asking for, i'm simply trying to find out if there is a way, I could email my prospective employer an application (if possible), or a link to a website that hosts my app (from what i've read is the most common deployment of Silverlight apps).

I apologize if these questions are out of line and I should be shot for not knowing what/how Silverlight publishing capabilities are but I have no experience with Servers and only know how to code.  In fact, all my coding has never gotten past the level of running the program inside the SDK.  

TL;DR: what exactly am I doing by configuring my IIS and then what is created by Publishing my Application.Web and Building Depolyment Package of my Application.Web? 

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 5:48 PM
  • nvm, figured out another way. I can just send the testpage.html and the .xap file. but now I can't see the video on the server, only local videos. I'll start another thread.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 8:37 PM