How to debug with Charm Bar RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am using charm bar for the settings of my app. and I want to debug the functionality on the charm bar but I am not able to do that,due to when I go to the debugger points after completing with debugger points the charm bar closes and I am not able to see the result on charm bar, so kindly provide the solution on it.

Regards

Rishi

Friday, October 26, 2012 6:39 AM

Answers

• One solution is to use the event logger to track the functionality flow.

-Prasanna

• Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Thursday, November 1, 2012 2:54 AM
    Saturday, October 27, 2012 4:39 PM
  • Maybe you could use Debug.WriteLine to get some good output?

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

• Proposed as answer by Dave SmitsMVP Friday, October 26, 2012 9:54 PM
    Friday, October 26, 2012 8:26 PM
  • Hi All

I got the solution on this problem. By running app on Simulator we can easily debug with charm bar or those popups which hides on lostfocus.

Regards,

Rishi

• Marked as answer by RishiRajIT Wednesday, December 26, 2012 9:20 AM
    Wednesday, December 26, 2012 9:20 AM

All replies

• Can you share part of your code please. It is very difficult to spectate like so,

Friday, October 26, 2012 7:42 AM
  • I know what you want and i had similar problems with settings charm and share charm.

For debug the settings flyout, i created a page with the content of the settings flyout i want to debug ( you can create a user control and with MVVM is very simple). And i add a button for call that page... with this i can know if the features are ok or what happen. When i saw that is ok i use it in setting flyout... and then if is ok i keep it, if not i will back to page for debug the problem.

I know that is not good. But you cannot prevent the fact the settings flyout will close each time it lost focus ( i think is focus)

Sara Silva
    My Windows 8 Store Apps Samples
    Follow me in Twitter @saramgsilva

My Windows 8 Store Apps: Female Pill | Galinho (Tic tac Toe) | 24
    (If my reply answers your question, please propose it as an answer because it will help other users)

• Edited by saramgsilva Friday, October 26, 2012 9:20 AM
    Friday, October 26, 2012 9:15 AM
  • Maybe you could use Debug.WriteLine to get some good output?

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

• Proposed as answer by Dave SmitsMVP Friday, October 26, 2012 9:54 PM
    Friday, October 26, 2012 8:26 PM
  • @Matt in my case: i used MVVM Light and dependency injection in each view model. I created a control that i added to flyout.Content and i added the same control in a Page. For debug the viewmodel even some code behind in control it works well :) because you can do each method step by step.

Sara Silva
    My Windows 8 Store Apps Samples
    Follow me in Twitter @saramgsilva

My Windows 8 Store Apps: Female Pill | Galinho (Tic tac Toe) | 24
    (If my reply answers your question, please propose it as an answer because it will help other users)

Friday, October 26, 2012 9:42 PM
  • One solution is to use the event logger to track the functionality flow.

-Prasanna

Saturday, October 27, 2012 4:39 PM
  • Remote debugging is often very helpful when debugging focus-related issues. Breaking in the remote debugger doesn't affect the focus on the target machine.

--Rob

Thursday, November 1, 2012 3:03 AM
  • Hi All

I got the solution on this problem. By running app on Simulator we can easily debug with charm bar or those popups which hides on lostfocus.

Regards,

Rishi

• Marked as answer by RishiRajIT Wednesday, December 26, 2012 9:20 AM
    Wednesday, December 26, 2012 9:20 AM