Link to or Copy Existing Data RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Im fairly new to software development but could do with some advice on the following scenario.  Im fairly certain there may not be a definitive answer to this, thats cool, im just looking for some experience that may help me make a better decision.

Im developing a Windows Form application to record the users of an incentive scheme, a user would have a unique number which identifies them in the scheme.  I also need to record the first name, last name and address details of the user in order to produce a claim report on demand.

All information other than the unique number is already stored in our CRM system's contact list, which the stakeholders have specified it would be nice to use.  The data in the CRM contact list is subject to change by users outside of the system I am developing e.g people are free to delete users in the CRM system etc and I am constrained by the fact that I cannot add the unique number for the incetive scheme to the CRM system.

My question is would it be better to :-

a) Provide a lookup to the CRM system that will allow the user to select an exisitng contact and make a copy of that data in my user record.  This would mean maintaining the data in two systems e.g address details etc.

b) Provide a lookup to the CRM system that will record the unique id of the users record in the CRM system and obtain the data as and when I need it.  This could cause problems should the record ever be removed from the CRM system.

I would be grateful for any tips or alternatives.

Kind Regards

Dan

Kind Regards H
    Friday, January 22, 2010 2:38 PM