How to install Silverlight Application Themes in Expression Blend ?? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

This question is driving me nuts. I have downloaded great set of 4 themes Windows 7, Cosmopolitan,Accent,JetPack from MSFT website, http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=e9da0eb8-f31b-4490-85b8-92c2f807df9e&displaylang=en ... it also contains readMe file which has instruction set for how to install those templates in Expression Blend 4. All I need to do is to copy those files to "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Expression\Blend 4\ProjectTemplates\en\CSharp\Silverlight", but since I am using x64 bit OS, it was in my "%\Program Files (x86)%\Microsoft Expression\Blend 4\ProjectTemplates\en\CSharp\Silverlight" but surprising, all themes have SAME FILE name and SAME.vstemplate !! So basically they just overwrite each other and all I can get is last theme that I copied.

Now, my question is how can I have all four templates ?? It is not like that I will be using all 4 together in one single proejct but it is really tiresome job to copy them every time and overwrite old one when you need it !!

Am I missing something here ??

I will really appreciate if anyone can provide me some insight ... (please dont suggest that simply attech style files to project, sure it will work but then it is not a solution it is just a work around)

Jack

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 1:08 AM

Answers

• I would guess you want to keep them in their folders? It sounds you are copying just the files, can you keep them in the directories they are in as they came in the zip file?
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 3:09 AM

All replies

• I would guess you want to keep them in their folders? It sounds you are copying just the files, can you keep them in the directories they are in as they came in the zip file?
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 3:09 AM
  • Hi Chuck,

That is just weird, but your suggestion worked !! Now I have all the themes together ... all I had to do was to copy all of thoese folders to my "%\Program Files (x86)%\Microsoft Expression\Blend 4\ProjectTemplates\en\CSharp\Silverlight" and it works !!!

I think MSFT should update their read me. Because clearly it is a bit misleading if you want to use all themese together

Thanks,

Jack

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 7:23 PM
  • Glad you got your problem solved, can you clarify for me what is confusing about this so I can pass your feedback along?

From the readme:

FOR EXPRESSION BLEND

==============================

To install the themes for use in Blend 4, copy the folders in the Blend4 folder 

to  %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Expression\Blend 4\ProjectTemplates\en\CSharp\Silverlight

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 7:25 PM
  • May be it is just me, but when I read following in readme,

FOR EXPRESSION BLEND
    ==============================
    To install the themes for use in Blend 4, copy the folders in the Blend4 folder
    to  %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Expression\Blend 4\ProjectTemplates\en\CSharp\Silverlight

I thought I need to copy folders from EACH Themes and overwrite what ever into those folder with folders from my themes because both of them have same file and folder structure. And if I actually do that then I can see installed template. But then I can install only one theme at a time because, all themes have same files and folder strcture, and they just overwrite previous theme.

I think, if the readme had somehow indicated that users should copy whole folder for each theme and not the folders located inside each themes.

Or may be, I would have done properly if I don't get template installed if I copy folders at wrong location.

Anyways, I think my problem is solved and that ends my complaint for MSFT :)

-Jack

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 12:46 AM