none
How to get past the 20gb limit? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I hope someone can help with this - if you pull down the WindowsServerCore image and install it, you end up with containers with 20gb of free space.

This mirrors the size of the base image found in ...\Windows\Images. Accordingly, I have tried numerous things, including using Hyper-V to resize the drive, deleting and recreating the containers, etc., and I can't get anything to work.

Why do I need more than 20gb free space? I'm experimenting with installing VS 2015 Enterprise to containers -- but by golly, VS is a beast, and I don't stand a chance if I can't grow the drive.

Please help!

Thanks,

John

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 7:59 PM

All replies

• Hi John,

May I ask what you are looking to gain by installing VS 2015 Enterprise inside of a container?

Thanks

Chris

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 9:19 PM
  • Absolutely - I plan to use it for builds. If it weren't for the fact that it doesn't seem possible to separately the vstest and code coverage tools, I'd simply go with the SDK and build tools...
    Thursday, June 30, 2016 12:00 PM
  • Can you share you command line of how did you manage to install VS into container? Many thanks!
    Thursday, June 30, 2016 12:03 PM
  • Absolutely, although it has yet to succeed given the sheer size of the install. I will say that I tried first to do this using chocolatey (there's a VS2015 package), but that was doomed to fail, given it had to pull the bits onto the container, further limiting available space.

Instead, I ended up running the container, mapping a drive in the container to a VS2015 layout I created elsewhere, pointing to a admin XML file that I copied in, and running:

vs_enterprise.exe /Quiet /NoRestart /AdminFile <adminfile>

Sitting in the temp directory (and watching Task Manager on the host), you can see things working fine, until they don't (you've run out of space)...

Thursday, June 30, 2016 12:40 PM
  • So maybe you can also map some external space into the container where VS will install most of the files?
    Thursday, June 30, 2016 12:50 PM
  • Interesting - so long as I can isolate that drive (perhaps a vhdx to avoid polluting the host and vice-versa), that's not a bad idea... that's worth a go! Thanks!

I admit, though, I'm still holding out hope that someone from Microsoft comes back and says "Sure - just find this config file and tweak this value" :)

Thursday, June 30, 2016 1:14 PM
  • If you are using Docker, you should be able to increase the size of the container by using "--storage-opt size=SIZE". As an example you could execute:

docker run -it --storage-opt size=60G microsoft/windowsservercore powershell

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 11:49 PM