How to start windows 8 simulator using cmd and install app on that simulator

Question

• Hi , 

I have developed a store app using html5 and javascript.

Using MSBuild i am building app and want to launch and  install that app in windows 8 simulator using command prompt.

Please help me with command of Windows simulator.

I am able to start Simulator using this command

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Simulator\11.0>Microsoft.Windows.Simulator.exe

But not able to launch the app on that simulator.

waiting for favorable response!!

Thanking You, 

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 9:57 AM

Answers

• Hi Amit,

If you open the simulator, you will find that actually the simulator is a copy of your current system. While you install something on your system, the same item will be displayed in the simulator. 

For your scenario I'm not quite understand why you want to install the app in simulator, just install the app in your system, you should be able to find that app in the simulator.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, December 26, 2013 2:36 PM

All replies

• Hi Amit,

When you are in Simulator, you could open Command prompt and type in the name of your app with start prefix, for instance I would like to start the store app, I can type:

start ms-windows-store:

Hope this help you.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, December 25, 2013 1:43 AM
  • Hi James,

Thank You for your reply!!

I am looking a direct command in cmd which will launch simulator and install app on that ... so that i can directly view app on simulator.

Actually i am developing an s/w which will use batch files to start simulator and install build app on that simulator.

Please help me to figure out this scenario!!

Thanking You, 

Thursday, December 26, 2013 7:20 AM
  • Hi Amit,

Actually i am developing an s/w which will use batch files to start simulator and install build app on that simulator.

-> I would like suggest you to read this article: Installing developer packages on Windows RT, section <Installing the app package without using a Visual Studio script> will guide you detailly in how to step by step install app-package without VS.

--James

Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Thursday, December 26, 2013 8:10 AM
  • Hi James,

This reply is really helpful!!

But my original requirement is not fulfilled ,

I want to launch simulator and want to install that build one "appx" package app on that simulator.

Please help to do same!!

Thanking You, 

Thursday, December 26, 2013 12:32 PM
  • Hi Amit,

If you open the simulator, you will find that actually the simulator is a copy of your current system. While you install something on your system, the same item will be displayed in the simulator. 

For your scenario I'm not quite understand why you want to install the app in simulator, just install the app in your system, you should be able to find that app in the simulator.

--James

Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Thursday, December 26, 2013 2:36 PM